Employees in PA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, Feb 25, 2005.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I are probably going to add one or two employees this season. What sort of things do we need to take care of? I talked to our tax man and he will help us with taxes and such. Will we need some kind of employee liability insurance?

We are totally new to having employees and know very little about what exactly we need to do. Anyone from PA have any advice?

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I wish you well! With all the troubles I've had doing Sales Tax work with PA Dept of Revenue, I fear working with L & I to get employee issues settled, I would spend more time in admin work than mowing. I remain working solo. Aiding and keeping employees is one matter of its own, but working through the financial matters for only one person isn't worth the fuss (at least I don't think so). Maybe if one hired three or more, then it is another story.

3. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

have fun finding them in this state when i hire i will have them fill out a 1099 i hope that frees me up from anything to do with it !! i don't know if i have to get any kind of ins for them with the form

4. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

Yeah! That's the ticket!

Stop and think about it. If that could legitimately "free [you] up from anything to do with it" then why would anyone bother with paying employment taxes and workers compensation?

5. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

It's not that bad at all, especially if you are only adding one maybe two. Unless you want loads of red tape, have someone do your payroll, and tele-file with the state of Pa. All done via the internet. As for insurance, workers comp. is going to be expensive, but I'm sure you have all those numbers currently. Liability may or may not change, your agent can help with all your insurance needs. Taxes are another ball game. I do not do my taxes as I do not want to waste what little free time I have.

With only a couple of employees, your biggest headaches will be keeping them motivated, at work, and having respect for your equipment. Oh yea, you and your brother will make allot more money!!!!!!

Good luck....