Employees = More complaints

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, May 31, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Is it just me or does it seem like customers complain more b/c they KNOW you have employees.

I look at some of there work and most of it is done exactly the way I would do it myself, and have done in the past. Noone EVER complained.

Now that they see 2 guys trimming, they complain every chance they get. "your edging too closely", "can you cut closer?" Blah Blah Blah.

I don't get it:rolleyes:
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if they complain more because they no you have employees or not, but when I had employees I did seem to get alot more complaints.
  3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i believe there are few customers insist that the owner of the business does there yard
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

The short answer is yes. More employees=yes Faster equipment = yes
  5. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

The faster you get there and get done, the more people want to *****. I am solo and I noticed this when I went from cutting with a 21" to my ZTR. The same people that were happy with the crappy 21" cut started to complain when I got done in half the time:hammerhead:
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

when the old focker knows you got unskilled labor cutting his grass instead of yourself... he will b!tch!
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, even if they do a good job!!!!!
  8. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How about the old adage nobody does it like you would. I got a phone call last nite from and upset customer because one the CHIDROOLS I have working for me left her gate open to the back yard. She had company comoing over and when she sees them pull up she lets her $1000 doggy out and he runs out the gate to meet the guests. She was legitimately pissed at the possiblitily the dog could of gotten hit by a car or bitten someone. I no charged her for that days cut and docked the employee for it. But it all goes back to me being respoinsiblte for it ultimately so I now find myself double checking their work more and more.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You just can't win sometimes....i have 2-3 where they call atleast once a month with some complaint, something silly IMo. Basiscally all I can do is tell them OKAy and keep doing like I've been doing. It's like we go out of our way to make sure certain things are done right, then they call and say they are unhappy with something else.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Next time tell them you will talk with your employees and if the complaints continue you will take necessary action against them and suggest the customer find a new LCO.

It will placate the customer if there just complaining and if not you get rid of some pita