1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employees Not Striping Straight!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by living Green Property, Feb 7, 2012.

1. living Green Property

living Green Property LawnSite Member
    from PA Erie

Am i the only one who seems to have a hard time with employees making straight stripes? I feel like either they are good at it or they always struggle. i train them and try to teach them but sometimes they just don’t get it.lol i mean it’s not heard to go straight. i think i could go to the local bar and get guys who can mow straighter lines.lol and another think I hate when the weed whack to short around stuff and kill off the grass. Maybe I need to hire from Mexico. lol ok I’m done venting !

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Either they get it or they dont. In the end they have to WANT to make straight lines. If they dont give a crap for whatever reason they will just mow till its done and move on.

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

Or you get these guys that change the stipes up on you, and only end up messing whole thing up....but man speaking of trimming bad, i had this guy that literally ground the line feed button off the trimmer head in half hour trimming too close...had to go buy a whole trimmer head as it was seized up, and then go back and fix the messed up trimming
  4. living Green Property

from PA Erie

hha i know what you mean i may go thru a trimmer head every other yeah i had kid he wore it thru in like 4 days.lol and i had another kid who kept it bumping and we had to put on more line almost every house. Some peoples kids
  5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You're hiring a kid to do the job and complain that they aren't doing it right? Ya get what ya pay for as they say.
  6. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I haven't bought one mower ever that doesn't start curving if you let it, you have to try.
  7. living Green Property

from PA Erie

Haha you can’t tell how good of work they do till you have them hired. Trust me guys who don’t do good work don’t last too long.
  8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any employees but I have worked with a friend back in my high school days that was horrible at striping! He always begged me for advice on it and my best advise was you have to actually try to go straight. Also I've picked up a few clients within the past few days and all have had horrible trimming done in the past. One guys lawn had a 2 inch gap where the guy tried edging the driveway and around the trees was just down to the dirt.

Its not THAT hard to do it right haha
  9. whaler's Mow-Town

whaler's Mow-Town LawnSite Member

Its not rocket science but ya gotta be smarter than the grass.
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm stealing this line.