Employees pay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AK Lawn, Mar 17, 2002.

1. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

I had a question about labor, how much do you guys pay for it and how often do you give raises? is there a point where i am paying to much for labor, what is the max you will pay an employee? i am operating in Alaska, is there anyone else out there from AK? Thanks Guys AK Lawn!:)

2. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

I don't know about the rest of these guys... But I REALLY liked the system my previous employer had...

Commision across the board (except for winter snow removal, that was straight 11.00/hr for lead hands, 10 for helpers) But the rest of the season, for 2 man crew, lead hand got 22%, helpers got 18. 3 man crew lead hand got 20% and helpers got 15.

This worked 99% of the time, as long as the quotes were reasonable. Occasionally you'd get one of those cleanups sold over the phone based on average area size for that community. And we'd put in 9-10 hours, for a job that was sold as 1.5 hours. Cases like that we would get an hourly minimum. Call backs were always No Charge (aka no pay), unless deemed to be otherwise by the boss.

For me it worked out to about 15-20$/hr I rarely worked more than an 8 hour day. My route was 85 customers (2 commercials, 1 1-acre (nasty hill), and a 3 acre) at its biggest last year, always done on time (I worked 2 saturdays due to weather) Most days we worked 6-7 hours.

From what the owner told me, he was sold on the system right away. Production skyrocketed... Before commision guys complained about too much work at 50mows/week. After commision was introduced everyone cried with less than 65-70 customers... And production quality increased, we didn't get paid to go back anymore! _WE_ the crew, lost money, wasn't just a few extra hours of overtime anymore...

My .02 YMMV

Andy