Employees & Rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 6, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

For the last month we've a lot of rain here in the DFW area. I had been keeping my employee on the clock till late in the afternoon in hopes that it would dry out. But for several days, after I had paid my employee to do non-productive work, it was still raining 8 hours later.

This morning it starting raining and I decided to send the employee home for the day. Sure enough, an hour and a half later, we could have been cutting again.

Do most folks send employees home when it rains and make them come back to work when it stops? Or do you figure that once you send them home, they're home for the day?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

If its raining in the morning, I tell my guys to call me for the starting time. I keep an eye on the radar. If it is still raining at noon, we take the day off.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Yeah, that's what I've been doing too. If it's raining when we wake up, my employee calls me to check in. If it stops raining, he calls me and we set a start time.

The problem is, how do you handle rain in the middle of the work day? Usually, you can wait about 10 minutes with a summer thunderstorm and see clear skies coming. However, like this morning, that's not always the case.

If it starts raining mid-day and there are no clear skies in sight, do you send everyone home immediately? Or do you keep them on the clock a few hours before throwing in the towel?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What I always have done in the past is I will send them home and then I give them a time I will call them at to let them know about the rest of the day. So for example, I send them home at 9am, I will tell them that I will call them by noon to let them know whether we are going to work later in the day or not

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Another reason I got rid of my employees. :)

6. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Why do you stop cutting in the rain. I have yet to melt!

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

make him salaried and fordet about it!,,,,,,if your company is under $500,000 per year the labor board will not mess with you even if the employee complains!

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

all our full time salary employees stay at the shop and work on equipment. all of our migrant workers and non salary employees get sent home, and if it clears up, we give em a call and have em come back in.

9. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mow anymore. What I used to do was while it was raining I would send the guys out to get all of the string trimming done for that day and if it continues to rain have them trim for the following days route as well. So when it did stop raining all they had to do was mow, blow and go. I would pay the guys an extra $1.00 per hour for working in the rain. This worked out well for me and our customers because we never got off schedule and did not have to work on Saturdays. By the way, I scheduled my mowing 10 hour days Monday through Thursday that way we always had a make-up day every week if needed.
    In 1995 we went 21 days with rain. Got 2 days of sunshine and then it rained for 4 straight days again!! We did not lose a single account during that time and picked up over $1000.00 per week in mowing because other companies were so far behind when someone called us we were able to get to them right away. During that time we also HAD TO mow in the rain. We did not have a choice.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++all of our migrant workers and non salary employees get sent home, and if it clears up, we give em a call and have em come back in.++++

Boy, that's rough on the employee. They work a few hours, get all sweaty, then get sent home. When they get home, they're dirty and sweaty and if they take a shower immediately, they may be getting cleaned up to go get sweaty again an hour later. Otherwise, they have to try to enjoy their time off the clock without a shower.

As for the salaried employees, my understanding is that if they don't earn a certain amount per year, they can't be placed on salary and denied overtime wages.

++++To qualify for exemption, employees generally must meet certain tests regarding their job duties and be paid on a salary basis at not less than $455 per week++++

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/fairpay/fs17c_administrative.htm

I don't pay my employee $455 per week, so I guess I can't place him on salary. With workmans comp insurance, unemployment insurance and social security taxes, that $455 will cost you about $560.00 per week.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper