Employees React to W-2's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Three of my employees told me today that their W-2's reflected more money than they made! How can that be? After all I have an accountant (brother-in law). Well my nephew claims his "gross pay" was $4500.00 less than the amt. on his W-2. The other guys agreed that their #'s were also off by $4000- $7000.

I call my accountant. He tells me that the guys FORGOT to add in overtime, holiday, vacation and sick time. Their paychecks list these separately. I offered to pay them all a little or a lot less if they wanted:D Not one of them took me up on this though:(

I guess I must overpay them all:eek:

Bob

2. Yes most employees seem to forget those add ins.

Are they happy? and are you happy?

That's all that really counts.

I guess you over paid those "Yankee's"

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't employees great? lol:D

4. Turfdude

Oh yeah,

I also reminded them that I contributed a little better than $1000.00 each towards their health care benes. It would have been even more had they taken me up on my offer to match 3% in a simplified IRA retirement plan. Oh well, their loss there!

Bob

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Gee, Holiday pay, Sick time and insurance, no wonder these guys are unhappy?

6. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I am not accusing you or your accountant of this, but it is possible that a number could have been incorrectly entered.

maybe a 4 looked like a 9, or vice versa
    a 7 a 1
    you get the point

They important thing is that we all double check and make sure the numbers add up.

A friend of mine had an extra $10,000 on his w-2 one year. Because of an incorrect key punch on the computer.

7. Overtime does show up in gross pay. Insurance, tips, meals, etc. doesn't.

Only 10% of gross income can be benefits.

It's time to check the W-3s'

Even if the accountant made this big of an error, when it's audit time, you are responsible, not the accountant!

I'm writing this with narration from my wife. She is an accountant, plus has taken the H&R Block tax course.

We're in agreement, you are in deep dodo.

Find another accountant to look at your books.

Dave

8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Agreed! I wouldn't trust a brother-in-law with a paper bag to box his way out of.......
    Does he do your payroll also?
    If so you may need to teach some STREET JUSTICE!!!!

9. Turfdude

I think a few of you missed the point!!!! The payroll is done through quickbooks, and so are the w-2's. All of the information is correct. The employees just read their forms incorrectly!!!

I don't believe I overpay them at all. Each one is properly compensated as to their ability!

Bob

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob, did they read their take home on the stubs and gross on the W-2?