employees requesting pay raise

Discussion in 'Employment' started by tyson, May 10, 2006.

1. tyson

tyson LawnSite Member

I believe that each employee should expect raises on a regular basis and should never feel like he or she has reached maximum pay.
    For the employer, this causes quite a problem. He has to raise prices to cover the raises or try to offset the difference in other ways. Let me continue by saying this.
    My employees arrive at the shop at 8:00am. They are now on the clock. The truck may need dumping, blades sharpened, mowers lubed etc. They may arrive at the first job after filling the truck with gas in 30 min. to 1 hour.
    Before the first job is started, its already cost me hundreds of dollars. At some point, each employee will expect a raise. Whats fare. Is $1 an hour too much. Wow, that would increase payroll thousands of dollars a month. I can't increase customer prices that much. I thought about starting the clock when they begin the first job but then blades would not get sharpened as well as maintenance or maybe the supervisor should be on the clock at 8:00am but the helpers pay begins at the first job. How about paying per job instead of hourly wages.
    Can there be a solution that would benefit both employer and employee. What would you do?

2. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

We give raises annually based on CPI. This is the rate the government sets as the cost of living increase.

Instaed of having the entire staff stand around in the morning select one member from each crew to stay one hour longer or however much time it takes at days end to have al equipment prepped and ready to go out the door the next AM. I would recommend rotating each crew member through on a weekly basis to distribute the work.

This should increase AM productivity of your entire crew.

3. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

Good help is hard to find and even harder to keep. Nickel and dime with their pay and you'll have people leave on you.

4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I agree with Golfguy. Have someone wait around at the end of the day or have your crew prepare the equipment for the next day. Fueling, sharping, cleaning and maintenance. If it is done at the end of the day employees are less likely to stand around and BS. because their in a hurry to get home. Its a proven fact that preparing equipment in the morning cost the employer more $$$. Good Luck. Oh and if a employee is not performing tell him/her and only give raises to those who do a good job. Go on ride alongs with the crews on a regular basis to see their performance and production.

5. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

SuperiorLandscapeMgmt. LawnSite Member

I agree with a couple of the other responses. We have a couple of key employees who are knowledgable in equipment repair and maintenance who report to work about 30 minutes before the laborers. They sharpen blades, lube equipment, and load trucks. As soon as the crew members show up, the truck rolls out the door. As far as fueling, we are going to a new system where we fill all of the small equipment / mowers at the shop (bulk fuel tanks at shop), and fill the trucks once a week. Either myself (owner), or another manager may go fill trucks after hours or on the weekends. But we are trying to eliminate excess time with several 3 man crews standing around at the convenience store.

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

We have some of the 30 gallon "gas caddys" from Northern tool. They work great, at the end of the day, one person fuels all the machines. The trucks get gas a couple times a week at night by ONE PERSON....I always laugh when I see 3 or 4 lawn trucks with full crews in line at the gas station in the morning. Usually there is one person gassing everything with 4 others standing around eating egg sandwiches.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel, lube, sharpend and load up the night before. Or get a super lawn truck. Will save tons on time.

8. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Have 1 or 2 "Foreman" that are salary and it's their responsibility to get things ready before the hourly guys arrive.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

you could also find a trustworthy guy to do all this in the evening. I have found sometimes its easier to find evening help with guys looking for a second job or something. He could service all your equipment and fuel everything that way you wouldnt have all your laborers standing around or shopping for thier morning goodies on your dime.

Rather than raises( you still need to consider cost of living increases as mentioned) have you tried performance bonuses ? I know years ago when I was hourly I never rushed through anything because I was on the clock. I reward my guys for exceptionally hard work and if we get done ahead of schedual. Way I see it is if a guy works super hard and we finish 8 hours of work in 6 hours because he worked hard he earned his 8 hours especially if im still billing that 8 hours. So I pay him his 8 hours plus maybe a few bucks more since Im going home early or move on to more work. Take care of your good crews and give them something to strive for. it helps the moral in my opinion.

10. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

have a competion of some sort between different crews that will get them moving faster.