1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employees--seasonal, Hourly, Per-job?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Perfect Lawn Company, Jan 24, 2006.

1. The Perfect Lawn Company

The Perfect Lawn Company LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

First, I am new and have enjoyed the massive amount of info. I have gathered from here.

This year I am leaving the Corp. World to invest myself full-time into my company. I am interested in hiring a couple of people to help with expansion. I am thinking of just 1099 the work out, but no sure how to structure it by means of 30-40 hrs/week- year round, seasonal (ex. have job march-Nov.) or what is best? or What are some of the ways you all have your business set-up with employees? Thank for the advice.

Travis Johnson
    The Perfect Lawn Company
  2. hourly...........

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

pay houry. also you cannot 1099 your employee's that is for subs only not using any of your equipment
  4. The Perfect Lawn Company

Thanks for replies,

When the season slows down just let them go, or what are ways to structure the business where you can have either enough income coming in to support employees or work for them to do? Not sure if I am making sense.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There are 10 of us in our business. In the winter 6 of our H2B workers go home and we run with the 4 of us. We have enough commericial properties with rye grass to mow year round. But even it we didn't have commericial if you have sufficient homeowners you can get all the tree and landscape work you want across the winter. We have most of our homeowners on 12 month contracts and there is mowing in every month. A lot of leaves get done in Dec through mid Feb and then the workers all return.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

pay them hourly and let them collect unemployment in the winter usually about 15 weeks or so up here dont know about down there for seasons.you pay unemployment tax on their salaries so they will be eligible
  7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hire them as part time employees,then you do not have to cover unemployment insurance.
    Another option is hiring from a temp agency.One fee pays for salary and payroll taxes.Temp agencies love assigning employees for long term.If one doesn't work out,call up the rep. and have a new one sent out.
  8. RandyAndSons

RandyAndSons LawnSite Member

This could run in to a lot of money you have to have the workers 4 hr's or more and the fees are to much if you pay your worker 10.00 an hr they will charge you 16.00 or more for doing all the papper work i just dont know about temps
  9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

The best option is getting seasonal through the H2B program. That way they aren't around in the slow winter months, but you can have them back in the spring. There is a price to it, but for not having to retrain new employees every year it is well worth it.
  10. The Perfect Lawn Company

Thanks for replies, with the H2B programs do I have a pay part of or all of thier taxes? Next, I do not have contacts so I know that I will not have a set income coming each month, so what are ways I could restructure my pricing plans to help with this. Example: Last year I charged per cut(mowing,edging,weedeating,blowing,&shot spray 4 weeds) then hourly for hedging/pruning, then hourly for leaf removal for winter/fall, material X 2 for mulching. Problem I see not everyone or many asked for these other services outside standard cut. Can I just included all and that is that, client should expect it? Help! telling me your structures or plans! Lastly, what are good ways or where are good places to get/find workers (outside of temps).
    Thanks everyone for thier inputs.