employee's smoking??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by steve in Pa., Jun 12, 2005.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

what are your feelings about your employees smoking on the job?? ye or ne?
  2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Fine if they smoke in the truck (if you don't mind the smell), or if we are stopped at a gas station filling up or eating lunch, but never on a customers property. Luckily we don't have this problem, yet.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont like it.... but I tolerate it. I would rather them smoke while they work then to continuously take smoke "breaks". I smoke myself so I guess id be a hypocrite to try and stop them. I try not to smoke when clients are present though.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Not on the customers property, ever.

I'll fire you on the spot if I see it.
  5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

when I was an employee, the rules were not on the customer's property or anywhere a customer might see you. over near the truck was ok, but you couldn't just take a break. couldn't smoke in the truck. at the gas station or lunch was ok. basically the only time was during load and unload and lunch.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

It is ok for your employee's to smoke at the gas station? Make sure i'm not around when your at the gas station. :nono:
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I don't hire smokers anymore. Sorry all you guys but the four that I can remember were the worst, least productive workers I had (this was for a few reasons but smoking was a large one). I was constanly finding cigarette butts on properties that never had them before, after explicitly explaining that that was a big no-no. No one was allowed to smoke in the trucks so they'ed hop out at a stop and smoke, might just as well have smoked in the truck since the scent lingered on them anyway. It also seemed that as I was finishing up a job, the other guy or guys would be leaning on the trailer smoking.Another thought, do the math and add up all the cigarette breaks during the day, they always seemed to sneak em in no matter what I said. It probably cost me around a half-hour p/day p/smoker. I don't like having to babysit all the time and remind people that they shouldn't be smoking on my time so now, rather than constantly having to badger an empoyee about this I just don't hire smokers. Easy fix.
  8. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I wish I could find some non-smokers to hire!!
    We have 4 guys that smoke but they are all good workers...
    Our rules are no smoking while on any customers property and not in the truck if a non-smoker is present. We also do not allow smoking in front of the shop. If they must smoke they can go out back where people driving bye don't have to witness their bad habit.
  9. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

I don't allow smoking in the truck, trailer, shop, and especially not on a customer's property... EVER! Same as other posts, I'll fire him/her on the spot. This rule is out of respect. Respect for others property (mine and clients). Smoke stinks up my truck, dangerous in my enclosed trailer w/ gas cans, etc., and if I had a contractor smoking at my home, he'd be gone instantly. I don't want that smoke blowing in my windows, butts on the ground, etc.

It's funny, I have the same experience w/ smokers. Those that do seem to be the least productive and worst to deal with.

10. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

I agree. Never on the property. I caught my wife smoking while she was mowing a backyard once. Hasn't happened since. AND no smoke breaks in the middle of mowing a property... EVER. I'm a smoker myself and I can wait to finish the job and get to the truck.