Employees suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwilson32, May 11, 2004.

1. jwilson32

jwilson32 LawnSite Member

What am i doing wrong?? Ive gone through 4 employees in the past 2 weeks. I mean how hard is it? I pay them $7 an hour for the first 90 days and then move them up. Ive got my two irrigation guys mowing know and it looks crappy. How do i find good help and whats good pay? Im going crazy.....Is it really this hard?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

are these experienced cutters getting payed 7.00? maybe it has to do with your pay rate...

3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure regions effect this -- but I wouldn't get non-english speaking grunts to work for $7/hr. Most around here expect atleast 9 or 10

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

$7 sucks!! I wouldn't do anything for that rate...especially not physical labor!

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I pay between $10-$15 an hour. $7.00 an hour my guys would LOL and properly kick my AZZ

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay $8/hr.....

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

weatherman where in ohio are you? Around youngstown the biggest companies are paying 8 or 9 to start, but the smaller companies (like the one i used to work for) were paying as low as 6 to start, I started at 6 for the place but i was 15, as a foreman i was getting 7.75 and thats why i left. From what i've seen if you start them that low the people are normally dumb, scum, or are in it part time till they find something better, only reason i stayed was because the bigger companies require you to be 18 and i'm only 17. I say if you start paying alittle more you'll get better employee's and they'll stick around longer (pay over time too!)

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

7 bucks an hour huh? No wonder. My cutters get 15 an hour and crew chiefs 20. Everyone deserves to earn a living btw...

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if you have em, but around here we have "vocational schools" where students who don't plan to go to college after high school go to learn a trade....i.e. welding, diesel mechanic, landscaping. Maybe pick up some kids graudating from there or something. Around here mowers start at 8.50/hr thats baseline experience....foremans $12/hr. Good Luck.

Jeff

10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

$7.00 for the first 90 days? Might be able to get away with it for the first couple of weeks. You should know if they are worth keeping within that amount of time.

You might want to take a deep look at your management style. Would you want to work for you? Or better yet would you let your son or daughter work for you?