1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employees that have been to courses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ocutter, Feb 22, 2001.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I realize now that it was worded for the sub contractor. However, would it not be virtually the same for employee's if I were to change the word 'Sub-Contractor' to 'Employee' though?? At least this is what we have done in the past.

This is why I was wondering what I might have been overlooking previously. I think that I understand what you are relating to as far as a demographic for the non-compete for the employee.

Thanks again for the help.
  2. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

stone said it better than me but that is basicly what i was trying to say. Sorry i sound so confusing kutnkru (my wife says i confuse her too) The main things about these agreements are that they are supposed to prevent someone from having a unfair advantage in doing business with another companies knowledge. But no one will ever be able to stop someone from earning a living or starting a business of thier own without knowledge from someone elses business. Let's face it all of us who have worked somewhere else and started a business have used information from our previous employer to our benefit and their detriment.
  3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmm, intricate stuff this non-compete. Thank you all for the information. Since I'm still small I'll stick to the "no steal/take customer" aspect. I know my customers very well and would think they would report any side offers to me by anyone.

Of course if I were to take in a "newbie" and teach him evrything from the getgo, I would do the non-compete to the hilt.

[Edited by Ocutter on 02-23-2001 at 12:23 PM]
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I will agree with you there Dan. That is pretty much how we learn about any business and whether or not its something we would like to pursue as a carrer or vest in as entrepreneurs. I do think that the ethical aspect is what so many people forget about or just plain ignore in these situations.