Employees tired at 20 lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, Aug 21, 2007.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

My setup 3 guys with 2 36" mowers 2 trimmers 1 edger and a BP blower. Our average lawn is 12k sq ft.

Problem is my guys cant seem to cut anymore then 20 lawns when it is upper 90's. And it take them 8 hours to do that. Foreman can pretty much keep up but the other guys look half dead after about 5 hours. So what can I do? Am I asking for to much?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe throw a 48" wb into the mix to get done a bit quicker? With three guys, they should be able to get 28-34 lawns done per day depending upon how tight the route is. Yes, it might be lower in the heat but I worked for an LCO who had to 60" ztr's, and a 36" wb and the usual handhelds. Even in the hotter times, we could knock out 30-40 lawns a day with a 3 man crew. Mind you, many of the stops were 3 houses or more. 2 stops were 7 houses each.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Are they walking behind these walkbehinds? I gotta say I would be wooped if I walked 20 properties a day. I can ride all day long and still feel like playing with my kid at the end of the day. Maybe sulkies or some riding mower.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Ever think about running two shifts? I do this (keep in mind its me and one other person) and on my really busy days I have one guy from 7am-1pm, and then a different guy from 1pm-6/7pm. Works great if you can coordinate it.

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Man, you are cruel....Upper 90's can be killer....you really should think about their health also....trimming, hedge work, etc. is tough work out in the open sun....Mowing is a piece of cake compared to all the work things....Happy employees will stay and do good work...

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its the job, end of story. Why do people want to hire guys who cant even speak english again? The low wages? Hell no!!!! Its that they arent lazy, and will actually work. I have one guy who will do anything, all day long and not complain and can be trusted. I have another that whines and complains about everything, slower than anything and takes him about 5 min to get started at any lawn. One makes $9, the other $12. If you find a good guy you have to pay them good.

7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

this probably will sound dumb to you all but i really am serious. SLEEP is more important than alot of people ever think. 5 hours?? thats crazy! i work 16-18 hour days for 6days a week ALWAYS.yes thats approximately a hundred hours a week. i dont know what there age is but my dad is 61 and he gets out there and works or out works the best of them. we dont piddle around either. run, swing the wacker like your fighting off an angry crowd,run along driveways with wacker and blowers like we r running from pitbulls. we have alot of big properties around here though. you guys that get 30 and 40 yards would only get 15 or 20 here and thats with 1 60" exmark running full speed and a psycho runnin the wacker. getting 30 or 40 yards from daylight to dark is just flat out not heard of around here. but when i started working guys that long, thats when i seen that sleep was one of the most important things to have. when they dont sleep they look like there trying to see up a hot chicks skirt thats up a hundred yards away. dont listen and are very dangerous. fall asleep between jobs and there not worth the drinks i buy them.

8. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

I agree sleep is important to being able to work a full day, but so is living your life! How do you have anytime for yourself working 100hrs a week? I never run with equipment either, a fast pace yes, but running...no, just not a good idea.

To the original question...

3 guys is ineffective unless you unload and do 4-5 lawns at each stop. We have tried running a 3 man crew, and for the same route with only 2 guys, it takes maybe about 30-45 minutes off the whole day. Not worth the extra wages and oversight for the extra guy.

Also...consider paying by lawn instead of hourly maybe, that way they can work as long as they want, there is no motivation to bust your ass if you are getting paid hourly.

Keep a cooler with ice/drinks in the truck, and some rags to dip in the ice water to wipe your face off with. It only takes a minute or so every third or fourth lawn, but it is very refreshing.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The best thing to ALWAYS do to find out "am I asking too much?" is to get out there and DO IT YOURSELF. You'll find out pretty quick what is reasonable and what is not. Then subtract a little for the fact they do it every day and get worn down... and also subtract a little for the fact they are less motivated than you (earning less, not their business, etc).

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Dude high 90's is frackin hot My guys can go home when it hits 102 no prob. see ya tomorrow.