employees trim or mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kayakn, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

this is for those of you work with one or two of your employees.

do you sit on the mower and have your employees trim and blow or is it the other way around?
  2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

if i had a choice i would have them mow so i could do the hard part.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

They do both somedays I feel I should just leave them on the mowers so I can get it done. They have their days.:hammerhead:
  4. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that the trimming puts the icing on the cake. Until they get good and efficient at it I always trim. I let them mow and blow. I also enjoy trimming the most.
  5. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked for Brickman they had the thinking of putting the least productive person on the most productive piece of equipment. So that left me the crew leader on trimming duty, weed spraying, and it also aloud me to survey the area not only for watching the crew but also picking out things that need to be address with the manager of the property. That also gave me time to talk with the manager while they were out mowing. The only trouble I had with new people running the mowers was the stripping but I guess practice makes perfect.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i mow, the employees trim, edge and blow........ you can barley trust an employee with a 300 dollar trimmer, let alone a 7 thousand dollar mower....

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

My employees can do everything and we rotate so one person doesnt get stuck doing one thing all day.
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

We use to rotate mowing & trimming. I prefered to trim, so I could spray some round-up or nip a couple of bushes( Its hard to get help that THINKS)

I lawn surf (mow) all day for the last few years. After 25 years of lawn maintenance, my feet can't take walking all day.
  9. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Usually I let my higher ranked employee mow the backyard and Ill mow the front with the big machine, than whoever finishes first trims, by then the guy in the backyard should be finishing up shortly so depending on size of property he will either do more trimming or if im done he'll blow down. If its a busy day and I have 3 guys then usually I put the new guy trimming/blowing while me and my regular cut.
    I think it all depends on experience really. I love edging so I usually try and leave that for me to do, but I have noticed my regular guy is really getting the lawn bug and he takes a lot of pride in edging now too so...
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

We have trimmers on racks on all the mowers. It is everyone's responsibility to trim the area they mow. We mow a lot of big areas, so it is way more efficient to stop an trim a post or whatever when you get there, as on some of these properties, it may be 200 yards to the next spot that needs a 4 second trim. If it is set up that the first round has most of the spots every so often, I let the trimmer run in the rack, so it is jump off, trim, jump on and go-go-go. Works well for me.