1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kemmer, May 23, 2005.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you pay your employees's? For installs i will probably have 2 guys working with me, but for mowing, i will probably have one man running the trimmer.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$15 an hour for mowing, landscaping etc.
    $22.25 for crew chiefs
  3. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Man Rodfather. Is that $15 an hour starting out. Thats pretty good. I have a guy helping me and I pay him 12.50 but he's very good with a trimmer. I thought that seemed a little high but you get what you pay for I guess.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Probably can see why I have NO employee problems or call backs per se...
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Chad, part of the reason that Rod's guys make "so much" has a LOT to do with the demographic profile of the region He lives in.. Here in Texas, a GOOD Crewleader might find employ @ $15.00 an hr, but that would be extremely high.. Most make $10-12 an hr at best, helpers anywhere from $7-9... I'd be willing to bet Florida is much the same. The cost of living is radically different upper east coast vs. the South... Like double or more in some areas.
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Or more is right. A lot of my family is in Connecticut and Rhode Island. From Barrington, Rhode Island or Glastonbury, Connecticut to San Marcos, Texas is a HUGE change in the cost of living.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi snowyleaflandscaping,

Here is another post with helpful information.

8. Mower63

Mower63 LawnSite Member

Txlawnking is correct about FL. We start newbies at 8 / hour. If someone has experience trimming, edging, does a great job, knows plants...9 - 10 / hour. If they can run all the equipment (hedge trimming is a big deal down here) then 10 - 12 / hour. Experienced foremen make 13 - 16 / hour, more if they are responsible for estate properties (ocean front, etc).

We also offer paid holidays, sick time and paid vacation (after 1 year employment). Medical is too expensive right now...maybe forever :dizzy:

Depends on cost of living, competition, labor availability, etc.

Remember you get what you pay for and your customers will notice the difference.