employees

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by skurkp, Oct 30, 2005.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Just a question about hiring employees. I am needing to hire an employee and was trying to decide on which route to take. I think it is cheaper to have an employee fill out the w-9 form and send them a 1099 at the end of the year. I would not have to carry workmans comp then, is this correct. How much are you guys or galls paying your employees to start. I am solo and if I can keep the payroll to a minimum for now that would help me to be able to take on more work so I could hire more employees. I work full time (four days a week) as a maintenance tech for Stewart & Stevenson and mow Fri,Sat,& Sun. No time off, and would like to move to the next level and I am not quite sure on the coorect path for now for employees. All input would be greatly appreciate.

Maybe this should be in the just starting out forum, but I want input from lco's in my area.

2. Rich's LS

Rich's LS LawnSite Member

It cost's me around $3.00 extra per hout for each of my employee's but I also have workmen's comp which you have to have to get commercial jobs. If you are only working 3 days a week I would go to the local labor pool and pick up day labor there.. I think you can pay cash up to either 750 or 1500 each a year... so just change out your labor when it gets high.. You need to be careful not having workemns comp. I knos S&S pays well and it would suck if you got sued or one of your clients did..

What part of Houston are you operating??? I used to live off of Dairy ashfor and Westhiemer behind Royal oak.... Boy do i miss the area... Good luck

3. Rich's LS

Rich's LS LawnSite Member

It cost's me around $3.00 extra per hour for each of my employee's but I also have workmen's comp which you have to have to get commercial jobs. If you are only working 3 days a week I would go to the local labor pool and pick up day labor there.. I think you can pay cash up to either 750 or 1500 each a year... so just change out your labor when it gets high.. You need to be careful not having workemns comp. I know S&S pays well and it would suck if you got sued or one of your clients did..

What part of Houston are you operating??? I used to live off of Dairy ashford and Westhiemer behind Royal oak.... Boy do i miss the area... Good luck