employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hewitt64, Apr 13, 2002.

1. hewitt64

hewitt64 LawnSite Member

What and how do you take out of your employees pay, This is my first time ever with employees. What do i do?

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

The best thing to do is get an accountant. They will take care of everything for you.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

First you need to obtain a Federal ID number. In Virginia, we withold for FICA, Federal Income Tax and State Income Tax. This money must be deposited with the proper form to the Feds on a regular basis, probably monthly for you. Remember that the FICA is matched by the employer and this is not optional. Do ask for professional help locally to get you started properly. The math and the forms are fairly simple, so it isn't hard to file, unless you don't have the money in the ol' bank account. Don't fall behind on this payment. The gov't won't let you slide on this obligation regardless of anything.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You might try looking into getting a payroll service company do this for you...PayChex is well known. And they're not real expensive.

At least you could have an outside outfit do it for you temporarily until you feel the time you want to take care of it yourself. Just a thought.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a CPA n Get Quick Books Pro

6. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with my man Rodfather... i used to do payroll myself, and I would be late on filing, screw up employee withdrawls, etc. I recently started using PAYCHEX Inc. and its a service WELL worth the cost. I would suggest that route ;)

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

when you get an accountant/book keeper he will also do this for you very cheap

8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If you can run your business you can do payroll. Just follow some charts and do some simple math. I personally like to see where my $ is going and opt for paying myself rather than an accountant.

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Matter or preference and whether or not you trust yourself to be disciplined and consistent. It is not difficult to figure out and follow certain guidelines...but you have to make it a practice you keep up on or you may have a costly mess on your hands.

10. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Each of my employees recieves a W-2 before they start and must fill it out, so i take out what they claim, whether it be 0 or what ever, but i have to say that my accountant does do all of the work but as owner i do look over everything, the second you look away is the second everything falls apart, trust me it happened two years ago, never think it wioll run it self
    AK Lawn