Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wright48, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

We all go threw the same problems with employees , you find them train them , they leave. I have had some problems with this im paying the going rate in my area actually more then the going rate and finding good help is hard. Anybody else have problems finding trustworthy hard working employees ??? most of my employees are threw referals im thinking of just putting an add in the paper this year asking for experienced help any suggestions ??
  2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you put a ad in the paper you better brush up on your Spanish. You will get a lot of calls from people who don't know what a ZTR is regardless of what you ask for. Just have to weed through them.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Learn Spanish and your employee problems will be solved.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sorry but this AMERICA and we speak ENGLISH,I require people who work for me to do the same.They must be able to communicate with Me as well as clients.
    I have had better luck with referrals than ads in the paper.

(I didn't mean to high jack the thread but had to say it)
    Peace out.
  5. RPM90

RPM90 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

agree 100% im still trying to learn spanish better but 100% agree
  6. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

good luck finding an English speaker who is as dedicated as most of the Spanish speakers. America has always been and will always continue to be a melting pot. When your ancestors came over they probably didnt speak the exact language/dialect. Bottom line is the hispanic guys work hard, show up on time, and do quality work.....that is lacking in the "American" worker
  7. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe word your ad to say,, Need a good job? I got one, you must be willing to work as hard as a Mexican, be on time, and speak English! Good luck getting any of today's youth to respond to that! unless there Mexican!
  8. RPM90

RPM90 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

as sdlandscapes said... i look at it this way. When most of our ancestors came here they didnt speak english, but they worked there asses off to make what they could for their family to give them a better life. They didnt speak english and all the people already here hated them like people hate mexicans now and days. But mexicans are here to do one thing and one this only work as hard as they can, as long as they can, and make as much money as they can to give their families a better life. that is just what i see with my guys who work their asses off and who all all hispanic
  9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

And all the guys on unemployment compensation !!

I got fewer inquiries from job seekers in 2010 than ever.
  10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I disagree.

I have some pretty good American employees right now and some of them have been employed with me for 5-10 years. Hope to keep them as long as possible. When one does quit, I will find another American worker to take his place.