1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Oct 26, 2000.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Am thinking of hiring a full time guy next year? Any tips, do u really have to pay all these taxes even though this is seasonal work?
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a few choices, 1 you can have them get there own contracters insurance and say you sub contract out 1/2 the work to them. Or the way we do it, pay workers comp insurance and our employees choose to take money out of there own pay to pay for state and federal taxes, so we dont do the taxes for them and has worked out great for us over the years but with our growth that will soon change.
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You do pay for your half of the taxes for the employess landscaper3?

"Social security tax pays for benefits under the old-age, survivors, and disability insurance part of FICA. Medicare tax pays for benefits under the hospital insurance part. You withhold part of these taxes from your employee's wages and you pay a matching amount yourself."

"The federal unemployment tax is part of the federal and state program under the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) that pays unemployment compensation to workers who lose their jobs. You report and pay FUTA tax separately from social security and Medicare taxes and withheld income tax. You pay FUTA tax only from your own funds. Employees do not pay this tax or have it withheld from their pay."

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 10-27-2000 at 03:29 AM]
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry didnt clearify myself correctly, and forget what got posted.

[Edited by landscaper3 on 10-27-2000 at 03:33 AM]
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I take it you don't?
  6. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

There is a contractor in my area that hires his help through the temp service. Cost him a little more but they take care of all the taxes and insurance. To me this sounds like a good way to go.
  7. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I looked into the temp worker route. The temp service I went to would have charged a 78% markup on whatever hourly we pay. If we paid 7 an hour we would be billed like $13 an hour. Forget that.
  8. T.C.O.B.

T.C.O.B. LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

Check into Employee Leasing

or consider using Paychex, Inc.

For about $15.00 - $20.00 per week they will handle all that fun stuff that can get you in trouble with the Goverment. You call in the hours, they tell you how much to deposit into your payroll account at your bank, Then they mail the checks to you, and you hand them out to employees.
    Then they take care of taxes, Fica, ect. Good Luck to You!