employees????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by creek chub, May 4, 2004.

1. creek chub

creek chub LawnSite Member

Currently, I am just starting out and still work a full time job. I'm bidding jobs right now and I would like the veteran's input. I possibly might get more jobs than I can handle part time. My cousin is 17 and he has a super strong work ethic that our family prides upon itself. He says he will work for me this summer if I need him and I know he's dependable. Should I hire him as an employee or as an independant contractor? Any help would be appreciated!

Creek Chub

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Creek Chub,

Here is a quote from this site that may be helpful.

"Definition of an Independent Contractor
    Effective Until 1/1/04

All of the following criteria must be met to be classified as an independent contractor:

a. One who maintains a separate business with his or her own work facility, truck, equipment, materials or similar accommodations;

b. One who holds or has applied for a federal employer identification number, unless the independent contractor is a sole proprietor who is not required to obtain a federal employer identification number under state or federal requirements;

c. One who performs or agrees to perform specific services or work for specific amounts of money and controls the means of performing the services or work;

d. One who incurs the principal expenses related to the service or work that he or she performs or agrees to perform;

e. One who is responsible for the satisfactory completion of work or services that he or she performs or agrees to perform and is or could be held liable for a failure to complete the work or services;

f. One who receives compensation for work or services performed for a commission or on a per-job or competitive-bid basis and not on any other basis;

g. One who realizes a profit or suffers a loss in connection with performing works or services;

h. One who has continuing or recurring business liabilities or obligations;

i. One who's success or failure of their business depends on the relationship of business receipts to expenditures."