Employer Fined After Young Employee Dies in Auto Accident

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tjgray, Dec 6, 2005.

1. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what is wrong with America today. You can let them drive a truck, but only within 30 miles of the shop, wtf

3. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Excatly Gene and then we wonder why you cant get any work ethics burned into the young ones heads , dang goverment dont want them to work whole thing in a nut shell IMHO

4. Gene $immons

Everything has officially gone to hell.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see your gripe....you are willing to let a 17 year old drive your $20-50K rig around. No f-ing way....I don't car if the feds say I can do it. I would not put my business in harms way...

nothing says that the 17 year old could not work, just not drive for certain time.

Woudl you want a 17 year old piloting a 20000lb dump truck on the road were your kids play?

the 17 year old woudlhave been able to drive for one third of their shift, thats almost 3 hours of driving....

I hope the parents sue the crap out of the business and put em under, at 12,000 in fines they are getting off easy....Although, the parents probably should shoulder some of the blame, they had to have an idea what their kid was doing. Although I know how much pressue a boss can put on kids...If the boss said jump, I did...

6. Gene $immons

Here is the stupidity.

...under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that prohibits 17-year-old employees from driving a vehicle for their employer beyond a 30-mile radius from their place of employment,"

Now, what is with the 30 mile radius? If he killed someone within 5 miles of the shop its not a violation? Why let the employee drive at all?

No, I would not just put any inexperienced 17 year old behind the wheel. And he would be in one of my smaller trucks, and not hauling heavy loads and trailers. I just don't understand the 30mile radius part. But if I'm paying the added insurance for a younger driver, It should be legal to let him drive all over town. I'm talking a pick-up truck, not an 18 wheeler.

7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

If I am not mistaken, 95% of vehicle accidents occur within 10 miles from "home". Therefore, the 30 mile rule does not make sense, unless some type of study had been done. However, I also would not allow a 16/17 year old drive a work vehicle. I worry just when my 16 year old borrows the family vehicle.
    Mark