Emptying a leaf trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Nov 7, 2006.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I saw a couple of lco's at the leaf dump yesterday empty their trailers by hooking up to some cables that the dump provides and driving forward.

The cables were hooked to a wooden skid that sat in the front of their trailers....when they drove forward, it emptied the leaves out. The whole thing took about 3 minutes.

Does anyone use this method to empty their trailer? Also any good pics of one of these skids would be appreciated.

2. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend that uses a huge truck that has fencing applied in this method. It's lighter and handles huge loads of leaves. Sames deal...he drives forward with cables connected and the fencing rolls out the leaves.

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I don't have pic, but years ago we used a tire with fencing rolled around it and a chain wrap a round a big tree in the back of the dump.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Very clever idea. Beats using shovels and pitchforks.

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Dump trailer.

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

DITTO is all I've got to say about DUMP TRAILER.

I've got a 6x10 dump trailer. With the wooden sides I added it holds 14cuyds. The Billy Goat 18hp Leaf Loader just packs them in from back to front...top to bottom. When I get to the dump I take off the gate...hit the UP button, watch it dump, hit the DOWN button, put the gate back on and I'm off!

Well worth the investment IMHO.

Mike

7. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

We use the skid method all the time. We put 8' sides on our 18' trailer with the billy goat in front. Full it could haul 32 yards of leaves, however we normally only have 15-20 yards of leaves per day. We have two 25' chains connected to a heavy pallet. At the dump, hook to the pole and slowly drive forward. Like the previous poster - 3 minutes max. We also do the same thing this time of year with our snubnoses.

8. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Steve, I have seen the guys using that method at gem dirt in Jenks for years now. They usually have two pallets connected together at the front of the trailer standing upright with the chain connected around the middle of the pallets. The chain lays in the floor of the trailer and is extended all the way to the back of the bed with some slack coiled at the back near the ramp. Thyey take the ramp off and connect the chain to the tree there or the power pole (yikes) and just drive them off the trailer. Put the ramp back on and off they go.

Of course it only takes me 30 seconds to open the doors to my dump then a minute to dump and close my doors. Gone in two minutes or so.

But hey...they are both better than shoveling them out by hand.

9. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

we use that method all the time and all I have to say about it is its a pain keister. It works, but theres a little danger involved and you end up climbing through the pile anyways to unhook the chains. I'd rather use the dumper if i'm pulling leaves off the lawn but I do my best to take as little off the lawn as possible. Any extensive amount of bagging I do requires on site dumping.

10. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Unlatch the tailgate and push the "up" button...