EMS partime/LC partime

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnchopper, Oct 8, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

Ive been a employee in the lawn bus for a long time and its gotta be time to get out or start my own. I am a EMT and recently got a job offer with the local ambulance service thats partime. The wage is horse crap but I believe i get excellent benifits with just 20hrs a w/k then i could still do lawns on my own the rest of the 20-25 hrs or whatever.
    I wonder if this is a good idea???

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Is it steady hours?

In other words, 8 hrs on mon & wed and 4 on Fri? If it isn't that may pose a problem cause it would be more difficult to put your clients on a schedule...especially if it rains two days in a row.

Plenty people do this part time, I don't see why you couldn't.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think alot of firemen and emt are here on this site who do this and they seem to be able to make it work pretty well

why couldnt you right....

4. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

go for it lawnchopper i its some peoplle cant get any other operational any other way if things dont work out or its not your cup of tea aleast you are still in employment toledo dave is right though about the hours of the job initially balancing the can be a nightmare

5. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

move to GA in Atlanta area get a job on ambulance and make 15 bucks an hr and work 24 hr shifts 1 day out of three and cut grass the rest . We wor 24hrs and off 48 hrs

6. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I am an EMT/FF and work a 24/72 schedule. It's great because I get 3 days in a row to mow, landscape, & hardscape. When I work at the fire house I do paperwork and phone calls. It really does work out well.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

15 an hour???
    What is wrong with America where a guy cutting grass (lets face it guys --a very low intelligence job) makes more than an EMT with a lot of training and skill and has the responsibility of saving lives.
    The country is messed up when working for the government in a service job that has tremendous results (cop, firemen, EMT, or even teachers) punishes you by paying poverty level wages.