Enclosed cab w/ hand/foot controls or open cab w/ joysticks??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Dec 12, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Well in my search for a newer used tracked machine, ive come to the conclusion that in the price range i want to stay in (under $30k and low $20ks after trading in my mustang skid), i will not beable to get a cabbed machine with joystick controls.

so take into account i live in very southern louisiana. ive run accross some great deals on a few Tak TL130s and a few Bobcat T250s.

so what would you guys go for?
    #1 Cabbed machine w/ hand & foot controls
    #2 open cab w/ pilot/joystick controls

being im in the process of getting my new company up and rolling, plus i bought a new enclosed cab tractor a few months ago, and a baby due in May

im leaning towards, getting a open cab with joysticks(to save on fatigue when doin emergency response, etc..) and get a new machine cab/joysticks once the new company takes off.

all opinions are welcome. sorry for all the questions fellas:waving:

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Might want to look at a vertical lift path machine if you plan on loading trucks with debris , dirt etc
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. air and staying out of the elements are great and don't wear you out as bad.

4. KrayzKajun

I really like the kubota svl75. Found three all 2011s 300-700hrs. Open cab/joystick/narrow tracks $28k, open cab/joystick/wide tracks $32k and enclosed cab/ joysticks/hydro quick attach $35k
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What about an aftermarket enclosure?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Having the factory enclosed cab is worth a lot when its hot out you want ac, joysticks only are really nice too, much quicker then foot controls. My dads 06 mtl16 could drive up a fresh triaxle of loam in reverse and it wasn't a wide track. Still had the quick attach like his 97 does
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. whiffyspark

One more thing. Have you used pilot controls? Some people don't like them.

Sometimes they have a slight delay or the biggest thing I've noticed is I can't spin around as fast using pilot controls. At least on bobcats
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. KrayzKajun

Ive got over 1000hrs on operating Cat joysticks and a few hundred on tak/mustang. Im pretty quick with hand/foot controls on my mustang skid.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. whiffyspark

I was just asking I like joysticks for precise and/or Long tasks. I use foot controls for loading trucks and stuff. Personal preference.

I'm looking at buying my own skid and/or a mini ex with mowers that's why I've been paying attention to your threads lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device