Enclosed LED well vs. bullet heat

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by indylights, Mar 7, 2014.

1. indylights

indylights LawnSite Member

Does anyone know, if all things being equal (full enclosure, same manufacturer, wattage of LED lamp, incoming voltage, etc.) if heat dissipates better from a glass covered well light with a retrofit LED lamp or an MR-16 copper bullet light with an LED retrofit lamp. Common sense would say metal dissipates faster than plastic, but I know they can do some pretty funky things with PVC these days. I tried researching online but didn't come up with anything conclusive. Thanks in advance.

Scott Maloney
    Sunflower Landscapes

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

What do I know. But common sense tells me that the well light is more insulated in the ground than the bullet above ground. Therefore the above ground bullet would dissipate heat more quickly.

Maybe I'm way off track from what you are asking.

3. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The copper bullet above ground will dissipate heat far better than composite below ground, unless that composite is a special mim or pim type of material designed specifically for heat dispersion. I don't know of any lighting fixtures using this type of material.

Funny how the whole "heat discussion" has seemingly evaporated over the past couple of years. (told ya so! lol)

Light on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Spilllight

Spilllight LawnSite Member

Not that I will convince anyone because I know that for many .... the consensus is in .... but I declare the Well Light with a glass lens cover of which I supply for many markets but I also sell MRs has much better thermal management. If I may ... how many 10w MRs are we putting in enclosed bullets? The heat sink on a par is mainly form factor. It is over kill in many cases, a 20 w LED could be used with the same design. An LED MR-16 is mainly designed for interior use. Requiring airflow. The circuitry may not even last as long as the LED Diode itself. Even if completely covered in mulch and with the glass lens...the Well is a new fixture that deserves consideration. We are looking at a 17w currently and have thermal tests with it in an enclosed brass PAR 36 holder.... If the LEDs are designed properly, often they are IP 67 for temporary underwater use up to 3' and some will meet the IP 68 standard for permanent submersible. Here's a pic .. food for thought ..

LED MR16 heat failure.JPG

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

That LED MR16 on the left did not fail from an excessive heat issue. That is clearly a failure of a component on the driver board.

7. starry night

I guess my mind is working a little slow today. What point were you trying to make?

8. Spilllight

Uhm....Which point would you like for me to clarify?

9. starry night

The one that was meant to answer the original question.

10. Spilllight

I think I will pass and stand by my original reply as an answer...If you prefer MRs...I will not attempt to change your mind...by all means .... continue ..... we will be ships passing in the starry night.....))