1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

enclosed mowing trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WINTER 3, Nov 28, 2011.

1. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 LawnSite Member

For those of you who used open mowing trailers and switched to enclosed trailers. What made you do it?
  2. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

We have both, I like to run the enclosed. I guess the biggest plus is equipment storage and security, if we stop for lunch no worries. the best part is when we get to the shop at the end of the day all we do is lock the doors and leave.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I almost switched to an enclosed trailer last year when I bought my new open trailer. I liked the idea of having all of my stuff oit of the weather and in a more secure spot. I also liked the idea of being able to bring all of my tools with me. However, I need to haul lots of grass and leaves especially so an enclosed didn't really allow me to that as easily as an open trailer. Plus the price.for the size enclosed trailer that I would have bought and to get it outfitted how I wanted, it would have just way too much.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

thieves made me do it
  5. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Enclosed saves you time locking up covering in the rain snow etc. I changed back to open when I cut down on the business to solo only have one trailer now and you cant much or haul away crap as easy.
  6. Green surfer 1

Green surfer 1 LawnSite Member

We run both. Having enclosed lets some of our equipt stay in the trailer ready to go for the next day without unloading everything to be brought inside. Also act as a portable shed when not in use for our equipt or supplies durring winter .Great for rolling advertisement too. If you could afford one i think it would be a wise investment.
  7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I used a open trailer for several years before buying an enclosed about 6 years ago.

The enclosed works great for us.

We still use the open for debris.
  8. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an open trailer the first year and then switched to enclosed. The fact that I do not have to unload anything anymore makes it worth it. Not to mention if we are out cutting and it starts raining everything stays dry.
  9. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Enclosed is great but to take full advantage of it you need to really take some time to think about the design of the interior. ProLockers for the tires are a must, Extreme Rack & spool holder as well. Ladder racks for the ceiling. Toolbox for regular and mix gas to keep fumes down and prevent spills. Close to the door you need to mount one mix can and a fire extinguisher. Your crew should be able to take one step in the trailer and reach a blower, mix gas, or a string trimmer.

To answer your question wanting a garage on wheels made me do it.
  10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Prolockers are not necessary, we have 2X4's in front and behind each back wheel on the ztr's, works great.

We keep the trimmers, edger, blowers, and mix cans on the floor. Open the side door and everything is right there, no need to step inside.