1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed or not enclosed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Something D, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Hey gang, I am seriously thinking about getting and enclosed trailer this fall for my equipment. Currently I have a 7x14 open trailer. Right now I do not have a garage where I live so I have to cover all my equipment in case it rains. Right now we have our house up for sale and we are looking at houses right now. One with a garage for sure. But, I will still have my equipment loaded and ready to go for the next day so I think covering the equipment will still be an issue. I know a good enclosed trailer will run around 5k so I am wondering if it is truely worth the investment. What are some other advantages and disadvantages of having and enclosed vs open trailer.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so honestly, I dont have an enclosed trailer, but if given the choice, I would say go for it. Your equipment is much less likely to be stolen, vandalized, and flat out weathered if it is in an enclosed trailer. A slight disadvantage is ease of loading and unloading. Instead of walking beside your trailer and puttin your trimmer in the rack, you have to go inside the dang thing and put your trimmer up. Same goes for fueling up your equipment at a gas station, instead of pulling up and fueling, you may have to unload, fuel, reload, etc. Aside from that, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. A big advantage is that if you get one with a table up front, then you can store tools there, saving a little bit of grief when trying to gather up all your tools for a blade change, etc. This is just my opinion, but I would have to go with the enclosed.

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Enclosed, you really need both in this biz so keep the open

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The closed trailer gives a bit of security when on the job site if you are solo but don't be fooled they can still break into them. It is hard to start hydro machines in the closed trailer to back them out. It does save putting tarp on nightly. But from a pure standpoint of efficiency the open trailer is better for crews. You can get to stuff easier.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

enclosed is the way to go. But when you go enclosed you always need a bigger trailer. If you have a 7 by 14 now. Get a 8 by 20. Trust me. I replaced a 7 by 14 with a 7 by 16 and its too small. The stuff hanging on the sides make it smaller on the inside.

6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I only have a 6x12, I would recomend getting an enclosed. You can go inside a store and you dont have to worry about someone trying to rip you off when your away from your rig.

Get one with plywood interior wood, not lunan that stuff sucks

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

O yea. Look at Wells cargo enclosed trailers only. Nothing else comes close to the contructions. They are built for 15 years of commerical abuse. Trust me they are.

8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I just went from a 5X10 Open to a 7X16 Enclosed Pace! It is going to be great once I get everything mounted in the next two weeks. I am trying to figure out how to tie down the ZTR, I was going to mount swivel D rings in the floor and use heavy duty ratchet straps but I am going to have to figure something else out.

9. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

As for fueling you may want to get gas doors, they are small doors which open on the side allowing a fuel nozzle to pass through. this will save you from unloading to fuel.

10. CAL-LANDSCAPER

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

I've been using enclosed trailers since I started
    Open trailers for maintenance seemed to easy for theft of equipt
    I do have one 8x16 open - used to haul tractor and bulk materials
    There are so many advantages to enclosed trailers
    And you have a moving billboard for advertising