Enclosed or open trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tom's lawn care, Feb 5, 2009.

1. tom's lawn care

tom's lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering what you guys think. I am just starting out, and i need to buy a trailer. i want a 16 ft, and i found a 7 by 16 enclosed trailer for 3600 brand new, or i can get a 7.5 by 16 open trailer for 2300 brand new. What trailer do you think I should by, and what would be best for me, my jobs are mostly residential. Thanks

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

It's going to depend. Do you have a place to store equipment? If you don't, the enclosed is the better option. Do you need something to transport mulch, stone, brush? Than maybe an open might suit you better.

Sorry it's not a definite answer, but hopefully I gave you something to think about.

3. tom's lawn care

Yea thanks, i share a two door garage with my brother, and i don't have enough room to store my mowers, Also i have a 5 by 10 open trailer, to haul brush and stuff on, and I was going to build sides on it for mulch.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say to get the enclosed then if you have an open trailer for debris and stuff.

5. scagmower

scagmower LawnSite Senior Member

i have an 7X18 enclosed trailer, they work out really handy, you can just leave all equipment in it, not worry about unloading everynight, and my trailer is actually like a garage on wheels, with all essentials for break downs. Also its like a moving billboard!!! however ive noticed they re alot more heavy, and harder on gas!! but in the long run i would go with the enclosed

6. tom's lawn care

Alright, I will keep that in mind, I have an F-350 so I am not worried about the weight issue. Thanks alot, I appreaciate it.

7. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

For you just starting out i would reccomend a Open trailer, They are more versatile, and when starting up it would be better to have a lower cost invested into the trailer in case your business fails that way you wont be out that much............Open trailer you can haul brush, mulch, rocks, etc........Thats gonna be very hard to do in an closed trailer.........Just my opinion i would go with an open...

8. tom's lawn care

What if I already have an 5x10 open for brush ect.

9. tom's lawn care

Well, I think I am set on a enclosed trailer, but if there are any other suggestions, please let me know thanks.

10. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would look into an 18' or so tralier, you could fit 3 mowers on there with a little more room to spare... unless you get a great deal on a 16'...

thats my 2 cents..

nick