Enclosed or Open

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by extremerc76, Feb 22, 2007.

1. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i am looking to get a new trailer, since i have outgrown my old one, i don't know wether to get an enclosed trailer or an open trailer (this time with a ramp) my last trailer was open but with no ramp. other than the big price difference what are some of the good and bad (if any) things about enclosed. what type do you use?
    thanks

2. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

i have an open now, and my next will be enclosed. but i will keep the open for mulch, leaf cleanups, and landscape materials. so really, id say both! lol!

3. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

I've never had an enclosed trailer, but I think I would still prefer open. Mainly because of accessability to equipment, and less drag = better fuel efficiency. However, if you don't have anywhere indoors to store your equipment then I would definently go with the enclosed trailer.

4. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i prefer enclosed your equipment stays dry and out of the weather which really extend the life of your equiment, also your equipment is alot safe and secure. but with and enclosed trailer you are limited to what you can haul although you can do alot with your pick-up or have your dirt/mulch delivered for where you bought it

5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Depends on the areas you service
    last year I helped a guy out with a prop downtown I had an open trailer I never let it get out of site
    He uses an enclosed trailer then locks it up and presses on
    Id go with an enclosed one if security/storage was an issue

6. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I would love to have an enclosed trailer. However I haul too much mulch, dirt, and debris for it to be economical for me.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

both...........

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I have never hauled anything but equipment in my trailers.

So if that is all you will be doing as well get an enclosed trailer it will keep your equipment safe and dry. The trailer also acts like a shed during the off season.

I guess it also depends on the weight of equipment you haul make sure you get the appropriate rated trailer for you load.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

We started with open trailers. Bought an enclosed and sold it a year later, 18 footer and was a boat to pull. Now we only use 16 foot open trailers for accessibility and the guys like it much better.We unload the trailer and put equipment into a container at night and back the dump truck against the door. If your buying it for security purposes, I think that would be a mistake since I hear at least a couple times a year of local enclosed trailers being broken into. All depends where your storing it. If your keeping it at your residence that helps.

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I like having both and I like the open one for gas millage and the enclosed one for being able to protect my equipment and plus I can always use the bathroom in it when needed. I make sure to always carry a gatorade bottle with me