1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

enclosed or open?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Branching Out, Jul 24, 2008.

enclosed or open

1. enclosed

38 vote(s)
  2. open

22 vote(s)
  1. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

I'm confused....why are there sooooo many open trailers on here?...I can't for the life of me see why you would buy one...I think that enclosed is the only way...what do you guys think?
  2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Enclosed is better, but open is cheaper.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

True. Some people cant afford an enclosed. I have an enclosed for my equipment, and an open dump trailer for all my grass clippings/lawn debris.
  4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

open for me is the bet. enclosed is to time consuming , safer.
  5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I run both! depends on my mood! LOL
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We run both. One nice thing about an open trailer is fueling up, or blowing off the equipment. Our 20ft black enclosed shows battle scars from tree-lined roads (and a couple curbs) and it gets old to see it come back from a day of mowing with mystery dingmarks on the right front corner (or worse). The enclosed is great when it rains or when it's cold outside and great for storage.
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Thats why you gotta have both. As of now I only have the enclosed and wouldnt have it any other way for mowing but I desperately need an open for other jobs.
  8. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

We use both also but the mowing crews use enclosed. We get lots of calls because our Phone # and name are huge on the sides of the trailers. It's a moving billboard. 1 drawback of the enclosed is the weight and extra fuel used to pull it. You won't be using a 1500 truck to pull a 20ft enclosed trailer loaded with equipment. If you do you won't be for long.
  9. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've had both. The enclosed just gets beat to hell and back, plus looks like crap when they do. And the heavy duty ones are expensive. Open is great if you have a shop and don't have to unload everyday!!
  10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have a white 8.5x20, been running it about 2 1/2 yrs, and it still looks as good as when we got it. Actually, it looks better than when we got it, now it's all lettered up.

We also have a open that we use for mulch and brush, but the enclosed is great for mowing, can't beat having a bathroom with you all day.