1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

enclosed trailer advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by monty33, Jan 8, 2008.

1. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer to be used as a hardscape trailer in the same way some of you hardscapers have shown in previous threads. Since you guys have outfitted and used these trailers in the field, I would appreciate any feed back you could give. I am looking at a 8x16 or 8x18 with drop spring axles. I will have all the usual hardscape gear and am considering using it to tow a dingo (for a while). I operate in both suburbia and city block style neighborhoods. Do you guys have a problem with springs vs. torsion in the larger trailers? Optimal size in width/length? I know this may have been covered somewhat, but will probably drive to Paris, Texas from Boulder,Colorado and I would like all the info I can get from your experience. Thanks in advance.
  2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Springs give you too much bounce. You would need shocks too. Most trailers use torsion suspension. I bought our trailer 5 years ago, and researched pretty heavily into the manufacturers. We went with a Pace American "Summit Line" which is their heavy duty landscape version. Definitely take the time to weigh out your options and custom order it. Don't just buy off the lot. The most important feature you can get is the extended tongue. I see so many trailers that have been jack knifed.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yes get an extended tongue, 3/4'' plywood walls so you can hang stuff any where, and the roller wheels on the back to keep it from draging are a MUST!! look in my pics if you dont know what they are.
  4. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

What length is an "extended tongue"? More than 4'.
  5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a 8x20 I bought an 18x7 and now wish I had the extra 2 and 1 foot, also get it with the 10,000lbs axles.
  6. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated. I am thinking about the 16-18' enclosed for a couple of reasons. I operate in a wealthy town that can have some limited parking access similar to a ski resort town in some degree where a 20' enclosed can be an unwanted billboard (not as pretentious as it sounds) on the curb as well as future considerations such as having a second hardscape trailer. As with all of us, I will choose a trailer that suits my capacity needs with proper layout. For those of you with an enclosed hardscape trailer, has the mobile shop returned efficiency results and convenience factors, or have there been second thoughts? Does the trailer reduce storage costs or are you finding the additional costs of a trailer and towing to be borderline effective. I think the trailer would present a more professional/efficient approach but do not see very many hardscapers rolling them. I will go with the 5200lb axles and a barn door rear end w/ slide out ramps, are there any advantages to a drop ramp that I cannot for see. I am leaning toward the Wells Cargo, "express wagon" for many reasons. Does anyone have any feedback on this particular model or resale values of certain manufactures. Enough already, thanks again.
  7. ChampionLS

Our trailer has a 5' extended tongue (no jack knifing), Aluminum diamond plate bulkhead protector, Rounded bulkhead, trailer jack mounted on middle rib VS outer rib (more stable), Side door with recessed step, heavy duty ramp gate with tailpiece (makes loading easier), rear stabilizer jacks, heavy duty axles, 3/4 plywood sides, additional 3/4 plywood skirt (1' up from floor all the way around), Finished Louan ceiling, 2 Horizontal "E" track rails mounted 24" off the floor, 4 Vertical "E" tracks in the nose of the trailer for building shelves, 12v courtesy lighting, 120V fluorescent lighting, 2 Skylights w. Vents, 4 20 Amp receptacles, 50' of heavy duty 12/3 power cable (land line), Recessed "D" rings built into the floor, and a rivitless exterior paneling (VHB option) Thats $3,000 in upgrades that was well worth it. When we start a job, the trailer is our "home" on the jobsite. We can work well into the night and see, or have a dry place to relax should a mid day down pour roll in. Take time and weigh out all your options.
  8. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

I'd love to see some pics of that trailer Champion
  9. ChampionLS

Go back a couple of months (maybe November?) and search the threads. There are 5 pics.
  10. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Here are some pics of my new trailer. I will be outfitting it this winter when I get the chance. Typical stuff such as - storage cabinets, bins, shelves, small work area, small equipment storage, and so on. Basically a mobile work shop. I am sick and tired of loading and unloading trucks so I bought a trailer to put everything in. We'll see how it works. All far as graphics the only thing that will be on the outside is the company logo. Nothing else, no phone numbers no services, nothing - just logo.

It is 24' + 4' vnose - too big for your application but you get the idea. #1 thing to consider - get a bigger trailer than you think... Be very picky about the exterior of the trailer - most of the aluminum clad trailers with rivet construction look like crap after 5 years. Unless you can keep it parked under cover and away from the salt... The Continental Cargo I bought has a one piece wooden sidewall with gel coat on both sides - no rusting, no metal & no electrolysis. So far I love it. I was going to get an all aluminum trailer but the expense was too great... Bottom line do not get a cheap enclosed no name trailer - they will not last... I paid $9,100 for my trailer. Have only seen 1 or 2 smooth sided gel coat trailers on the road. Although I've seen hundreds of semi tractor trailers and high end rv's that are now using the same construction techniques.

trailer 001.jpg

trailer 002.jpg

trailer 003.jpg