Enclosed trailer causing 2 stroke problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Mar 10, 2006.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced their 2 stroke equipment running horribly if it is hauled in an enclosed trailer? I have been having 2 stroke hell for the past couple years and for some reason it is mainly with my Redmax blower/trimmer. Weird thing is they run perfect in cooler temps, but today was 84 and seemed like everything 2 stroke in the trailer was running bad. I know this sounds stupid but is there something about an enclosed trailer that could cause this type of problems?
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure your fuels caps are in good shape an that they are vented an do not hold pressure . sounds to me your units fuel tanks are pressurizing under the heat an when that happens its hard for the carburetor to draw the fuel up , hope that helps george
  3. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have had enclosed trailers for 5or6 yrs. & no problems with starting anything.
    REDMAX STHIL ECHO SHINDIWA all in trailer all start good . I think you better check spark plugs and fuel mix.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

To add to George's post, make sure you have good ventilation in the trailer itself, especially if it's black in color.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We went through starting hell today here in Austin....Echo and Stihl were haveing a hard time. We dumped oil mix and retried but everything started hard when you are mowing back to back yards every 15 minutes. We are going to try a hand held Stihl that we got last year to see if it will start better. Our best starter is a 6 year old Br400 stihl. There is a basic problem here and we are going to take two BR420 Stihls back to dealer...we just got one last week... This bad starting hot is a BIG PROBLEM!!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have run box trailers for 10 years with no problems we have roof vents but all i all they don't get that hot,as far as starting problems that sounds typical of hard starting for sthil and echo.:laugh:
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So are you aware of some brand that starts good under the conditions I have outlined? Temperature around 90F, start and run 5 minutes, ride in trailer for a few minutes, then stop trailer and mow for 10 minutes then start again? I don't see any technical reason any of the 2 strokes might be different...but I am willing to listen and learn!! And I am only interested in equipment that has over 500 hours on it, not NEW stuff.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try and run 93 octane in your fuel and stabil for fresh,we did have a few problems last year with hard starting, redmax and shin i took the carbs off and cleaned them seems the fuel we buy now is crap.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Has it been humid/damp/rainy down there in Texas guys?

Sure sounds like a fuel issue to me...
  10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

As George said about heat pressurizing the fuel the tank and carbs: as you unload the equipment, before trying to start it, loosen the fuel cap to release any pressure build up. May not make any differance at all, but can't hurt to try everything before replacing equip. or parts. May be similar to the problem of vapor lock in the summer.

The Captain