Enclosed Trailer Height......

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 2k1yzfr1, Dec 30, 2003.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Man I thought I had this whole enclosed trailer thing decided. I went to order a Pace American 8x20 Sumitt and my friend was telling me that you can get 6" or 12" of extra height for $280. Well being that I am 6'4 I have to get atleast 6" extra, but should I get 12" extra for the same price?? :confused:

2. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Find out if the door height changes. I have extra height in my enclosed (I am 6'5") and bought mine because I could stand up in it. At the rate I hit my head going in and out, I am going to end up w/ a bald spot!

Joe

3. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

The door height is 6" less than the inside height. I've been calling a few people I know and it looks like everyone recommends that I get the 6" extra height to make it 7' inside. They said the extra 6" would be too tall and cause to much drag.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 6'3" and ALMOST never hit my head. The only time was when I hit the piece of aluminum that covers the gate assist (OUCH!!). I just barely have to duck when exiting.

5. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

I'd get the extra height for that price. Unless you're driving many highway miles every day, drag will not be a factor. Also make sure you get the heavy duty version of the trailer if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Believe it or not, they can wear out in a few years. I have a homesteader 16 x 7 standard duty trailer and the frame has started to bow a little more each year. It's causing the roof to split due to it being stretched. I just bought a used heavy duty 16 x 7 and the difference is substantial. I'm not familiar with the model you are looking at, but just a little advice from my past experiences. Enclosed trailer is the way to go!!!

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got rid of a 24' Wells Cargo Auto Wagon because it was built tall. It looked like the circus was coming to town when I'd pull up. I'm 5'8" on a good day and could stand on the mower and still not touch the roof with my head but that thing was like a parachute going down the hiway and it had a nosecone..............let me say this........if you do get a tall one you better spend the extra $$$$ and get a nosecone..........there's no telling what mine would have pulled like without it!

Wells Cargo trailers are pricey but they're tough as nails. I've seen Haulmarks that the fasteners were popping off all over the trailer. Buy a heavier duty model and avoid the problems down the road. I sold mine for $3500.00.........paid $6000.00. Ya, I would like to have another one but it'll have the lowest roof I can find........I can duck.