enclosed trailer help PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigw, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys i picked up my new 8x16 car mate enclosed trailer yesterday and i noticed that the 2 interior lights of the trailer would only work if i had my key in the on posistion of my truck or if it was running. Is this normal? you mean i have to run my truck or kill my battery to use these lights or is their a wiring problem?I would think they would just run off my truck battery without having the key on or the truck running???

2. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

mine are the same way. which if you think about it is good. what happens if someone forgets to turn them off? So what i do is just get the truck running a lil early when i am loading up at dusk and its all fine by me. ( not sure if its the way it should be but it doesn't bother me all to much.

3. bigw

OK I GUESS ILL DEAL WITH IT.hey where do you have your gas cans mounted?

4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want the lights to work with the switch off, you would need an isolator and another battery plus wiring. Before installing the brake controller in the truck, I could get power out of the outlet. After, it is as you described. I think they want to make sure your breakaway box doesn't kill your truck battery, so they do it that way.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I mounted a separate battery on the tongue of my enclosed trailer, apart from operating the lights, it can also operate an exhaust fan I installed.:cool2:

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

My interior trailer lights don't work on my trailer. Truck is an 08 gmc sierra. Any ideas? Everything else works good

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

my lights come on when the truck is off and the key is off. just remember to turn them off!!

8. bigw

im pretty sure that how it should work.

9. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

How does your trailer connect to the truck, 4 flat, 6 round, 7 round? Maybe somewhere you could feed a live wire to the trailer through the connector and then to the trailer interior lights.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

What brake controller? I think if you pull the controller cable from the controller, it would light them up if you have the factory 7-pin round unit,