Enclosed trailer, how big?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by clyde, Feb 26, 2012.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

How long of a trailer do I need (suggestions)? I have 2 scags 61" and a gravely ztr 48". I am wanting to buy an enclosed trailer? Any suggestions on this. Any regrets about certain things after you bought an enclosed. I have some large apts contracts I am afraid of leaving things on my current angle iron trailer for an entire day while we are on the opposite side of property for example. I was thinking about a gooseneck 18'er.

2. mbigred

mbigred LawnSite Member

what size is your open trailer? if its a 16 then go to a 20ft or 24 ft better re sale $ for that sizes longer trailer & truck takes longer place to park.

3. clyde

6x14 ( I built it years ago)

4. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

With your 3 mowers go with a 8.5x24 , never hurts to have room to grow.

5. clyde

2 brakes or 4?

6. mbigred

mbigred LawnSite Member

but you will need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it a 1/2 will not work

7. clyde

i have both 3/4 and 1/2

8. clyde

is the ford 3/4 4x4, is that essentially a 1 ton by the time you add all the 4x4 stuff? I know the 1/2 4x4 has some 3/4ton things

9. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

For your mowers i would say go 24'. I have a 8.5x24 and my three mowers just BARELY fit. So for me i should of gone with a 26 or 28'. Once you decide to go with a 8.5 wide enclosed, it doesn't cost much more to go a couple extra feet longer.

10. clyde

can you have a side door on the trailer to run ( for example the 48") up in there sideways? I had this consideration as well.Or is that not something usually done with enclosed like they do on Open...