1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailer, how big?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by clyde, Feb 26, 2012.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

How long of a trailer do I need (suggestions)? I have 2 scags 61" and a gravely ztr 48". I am wanting to buy an enclosed trailer? Any suggestions on this. Any regrets about certain things after you bought an enclosed. I have some large apts contracts I am afraid of leaving things on my current angle iron trailer for an entire day while we are on the opposite side of property for example. I was thinking about a gooseneck 18'er.

2. mbigred

mbigred LawnSite Member

what size is your open trailer? if its a 16 then go to a 20ft or 24 ft better re sale $ for that sizes longer trailer & truck takes longer place to park.

3. clyde

6x14 ( I built it years ago)

4. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

With your 3 mowers go with a 8.5x24 , never hurts to have room to grow.

5. clyde

2 brakes or 4?

6. mbigred

mbigred LawnSite Member

but you will need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it a 1/2 will not work

7. clyde

i have both 3/4 and 1/2

8. clyde

is the ford 3/4 4x4, is that essentially a 1 ton by the time you add all the 4x4 stuff? I know the 1/2 4x4 has some 3/4ton things

9. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

For your mowers i would say go 24'. I have a 8.5x24 and my three mowers just BARELY fit. So for me i should of gone with a 26 or 28'. Once you decide to go with a 8.5 wide enclosed, it doesn't cost much more to go a couple extra feet longer.

10. clyde

can you have a side door on the trailer to run ( for example the 48") up in there sideways? I had this consideration as well.Or is that not something usually done with enclosed like they do on Open...