Enclosed trailer ideas

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PR0 TURF, Nov 20, 2002.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We just bought a new 8.5x20ft enclosed trailer for doing the sprinkler installations back in August. Since then we've done some work to it to get it set up. We built a big workbench in the front of the trailer with shelves underneath & mounted a big craftsman toolbox to the floor underneath the bench to hold smaller tools & parts etc. We have 2 trash barrels...one for trash...one for leftover pieces of pipe. A marker board to jot down things we need etc. Built all shelves down one side to hold most all of our stock. And built a few racks on the other wall to hold rakes shovels and misc hand tools. We currently throw all the roles of pipe on the floor (not too neat). And pull our DitchWitch 255 in at the back of the trailer.
    What im looking for is ideas to improve upon the current setup that we have....anything small or big to improve upon it. Things you may have in your trailer...or things you'd put in if you get one. Winter is upon us and we now have plenty of time to dress it all up for spring. Just looking for some suggestions
  2. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

WHAT?!? No air conditioning?!? :laugh: Hey, it sounds like a nice unit. Maybe one day I will have something like that.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres a sprinkler company here that i've worked with that has a 30' goosneck trailer. It's a rolling store house.

One of the neetest things i saw in it is a built in bin or hopper that they keep filled with rock/gravel to put in the bottom of the valve boxes etc for drainage. They just put a bucket under it and open a shute. works pretty slick.

They have a rack on the back of the truck that pulls this trailer to hold rolls of pipe. They might also carry some inside?
  4. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

Having mentioned it, how many put rock in the valve boxes???
  5. PaulJ

I think they also used the gravel in the bottom of any holes with drains on the heads?
    Sorry for any confusion, It's been awhile since I've ben around sprinkler work. I just thought the gravel bin in the trailer was a good idea.
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

In my humble opinion and practical experience it is the biggest waste and the most aggravation in the world. We are burying this stuff in the soil. Its made for that. If drainage is an issue because of tight soil , a rock filled hole won't drain any better. Once saturated the hole will stay filled with water.

In tight soils here, we have valves that sit in water for extended periods of time and we don't worry about it.

Since systems in freezing climates are taditionally blown out with a compressor and pipe is pulled in with a plow and vary in depth, line drains are a thing of the past.

On one large job recently, we put weed mat in the bottom of the valve box hole and lapped it up the sides of the valve box. Duct taped it in place while backfilling. That was worth doing to keep dirt out of a jumbo box.

If this gravel idea was to work in freezing climates, pipe needs to be pitched and drain sumps must accomodate the qty of water to be drained in each spot. Be assured that rainfall will fill them as well.

I may be corrected on this becasie I only speak from my experience here in NJ, not the entire country.

I think that the idea is one concocted like the landscape fallacies of pruning 1/3 of a transplanted trees limbs away, mixing artificial soil concontions for planting holes, tree wound/pruning paint, tree wrap and guying wires on trees. All of these things have been proven detrimental to establisment success or meaningless in performance yet they persist in specifications.
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't tell us about the pain, show us the baby.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Amen Harold!! Fabric and rocks are a waste in my mind. All it does is make the boxes look pretty. But honestly how often is a homeowner going to be in the boxes. 1-2 a year to open or close a manifold drain.

From my view point as a tech, it sucks when needing to dig up a valve box when something needs replacing. I throw the fabric away and the rock gets mixed in with the dirt. I won't waste my time taking the rock out by hand and re-using the dirty fabric.

Don't use auto drains either. Another waste in my mind. Plus blowing the systems out in the fall brings my lots of money :D
  9. PaulJ

I'm sorry:cry:

I didn't mean to start an argument.
    The gravel wasn't my idea. I thought the bin for the gravel(whatever it's used for ) was a neat idea:D

But that wasn;'t my idea either. I saw it in a different companies trailer and thought I'd pass it along. .:rolleyes:

I won't even pretend to know much about sprinkler systems, I might raplace a broken head but that's about it. I was just passing along a trailer idea.

Again sorry for the trouble.:eek:
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't mean to make it sound like we were ripping you about it. Can of worms opened up and everything came out. It probably was a good idea.