Enclosed trailer or open trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kjfaulk, Aug 26, 2002.

1. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

What are the pros and cons to enclosed verses open trailer? We have open trailers now, but are considering enclosed due to weather and the NICE PEOPLE who love to take what ever they want from our trailers.
  2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have an enclosed trailer, and honestly, would probably never consider an open one.
    More saftey - no weather damage - nice big area to advertise on 3 sides - no loading and unloading at the beginning and end of everyday - in the morning, just turn the key and go .... should I go on?
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have open trailers (4 of 'em, 16' dovetails)...but a enclosed equipment storage yard we keep the equipment each night.
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Try to do some searching through "enclosed trailer" or something like that. There should be quite some threads that will answer your question.
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I would have both if i could. Right now i have a 6.5*12 open which is good for hauling equip, mulch brush etc that cant fit in the truck bed. I dont like unloading loading every day though. Id like to just hook up and go. Im also worried of people walking off with my 2cycle stuff when we are mowing.
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailers are cheap enough (at least the open ones).

You can afford both if you have space.

My enclosed trailer usually sits. In fact I haven't used it for the whole season.

Open is way more convenient esp if you go up driveways, etc with low trees.

Enlcosed obviously kinder to your equipment.

8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Get which ever suits your situation. I use an open trailer with fold down gates on the side and the rear. This way i can get my riders off the side and walk behinds on the rear, any one without moving any other. As for security I have large shop behind the house. I drive truck and trailer in the back in the evening and out the front the next morning. If I didn't have a secure place for at least the trailer I would consider enclosed.
  9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I personally went enclosed, because i didnt have any place to store my equipment during the summer. Its so convenient to just unhook and drive away. Some people say its a pain to gas up, but it doesnt take much longer to unload and gas up, and reload. im very happy i went with the enclosed. not to mention its like a shop on wheels.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a 25 X 30 garage (one of the selling points when I bought this house) so open trailer works fine for me. In the winter I unload and store equipment in the garage and small shed in backyard. This allows me to fit my truck in the garage, but just for the winter months. For most people it really seems to narrow down to if you have storage space or not. Another reason I like the open is that you can enter your trailer from all sides. Just a convinence, and I am a convinence freak