Enclosed Trailer Or Van

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by sasquatchmonk88, May 4, 2010.

1. sasquatchmonk88

sasquatchmonk88 LawnSite Member
    from Lansing

I am debating on getting a enclosed trailer next year or a van.

Enclosed trailers are nice because they are secure, you don't unload every day.

On the other hand vans are about the same and you don't lose the gas mileage you would if you had a van hauling an open trailer.

Any opinions?
  2. aznsquirel

aznsquirel LawnSite Member

I have a van right now but would love an enclosed trailer. The worst part about the van would have to be the fumes that you smell from your previous cut. I feel like passing out sometimes haha. But a van is nice since it reduces gas mileage and IMO is easier to park/drive/etc.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i would prefer a enclosed trailer but it all depends on your personal needs and preferences
  4. Fine Gardens Landscaping

Fine Gardens Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was considering a van too because I have a small operation and it'd be better for parking and maneuvering. Couldn't you seal off the passenger compartment to block the fumes? I notice a lot of cargo vans have a metal see through barricade that separates the cargo area from passenger compartment. Maybe you could seal that off further somehow.
  5. TurboMazda

TurboMazda LawnSite Member

It all depends, but if you decide for a van, I suggest a diesel one, you'll see the economy compare to Gasoline....................And you can seal the driver's seats to keep fumes from harming you,
  6. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

diesel van will most likely get better gas mileage than a gas v8 anyday.
  7. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

way noy a stepvan?
  8. grass catcher

grass catcher LawnSite Member

be sure to consider diesel is 35 to 40 cents per gallon higher and 2x to
    service I bought a f150 v6 to try to save
  9. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

trailer, beacuse you cant tow a van if it breaks down and still do lawns. i think a van would look unprofessional but thats your call.
    if you get a van, you risk carbon monoxide poisoning from the fumes.
    get a trailer

also if one of your mowers happens to catch fire while in your van, your F***ed! trailer; you detach and get outa there!
  10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on what you're calling a van, there are differrent views. Stepvans could work but you are open to fumes and they usually have a small back door, pros is that they chassis will usually last through several engines. Cargo van is that it is very small area, fumes and hard to load but easy to drive and can pull a trailer. Box van can have up to a typical 16' box and lots of room with a wide rear door, downfall would be that it is a big box and catches alot of wind. I would take a van over a trailer but would not get rid of my truck trailer combo for a back-up and to do brush clean up and mulch.