Enclosed trailer paint ideas?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the middle of a swap from the Isuzu NPR pictured in my sig below, back to a truck/trailer combo. I got a decent deal on a used trailer 2 days ago.... it is a 7x16 Horton Hauler enclosed trailer. This one was used by another lawn service and has a fair amount of wear and tear, but it is usable and if I could repaint it, it would do okay for me for now.

The biggest problem is there was vinyl lettering on it, and the seller was in the process of trying to blast them off with a pressure washer when I went to look at the trailer. They weren't coming off easily so he bought some kind of spray to help loosen the stickers, but what ended up happening was the spray ate the paint off the metal around the edges of the stickers and it now looks terrible. There is also scratches and dings and so on, and I just think some kind of coat of paint would help out.

None of the cheap body shops around here want to mess with painting a trailer, and the cheapest place that quoted me so far said it would be a minimum of 800$ to paint it.

I only paid 2000$ for the trailer, but like it said, it is used and is far from perfect. I want to see if pulling this behind my new truck will not kill me fuel milage wise and if the truck does okay I might upgrade to a new one in a few months, so I want to keep my investment in this one low, so I can resell it later and not loose any money.

I always used open trailers in the past, and only used a enclosed trailer for a short time when I lived in Florida and didn't really like it due to having to dodge and weave around everything inside the trailer as I went in and out with the mowers and trimmers and blowers etc.... I wanted to try one one more time for two main reasons, the trailer would keep the sun off the equipment - nothing worse than sitting down on a ZTR seat that has been baking in the 95 degree sun for the last hour and burning your butt - and also because I find I am needing to go pee more and more often during the day and it seems I need to go the most when there is no woods or bushes or tool sheds to go hide behind and do my business. At least in the enclosed trailer I can pee in a bucket or whatever with some privacy.

I built a gyrocopter over the winter and the rudder I bought for it was aluminum and I needed to paint it, and on the advise of a friend I used Rustoleum gloss white, and a FOAM ROLLER..... and just rolled it on like you would paint a wall in your house and it came out pretty good. Not as good as a professional paint job, but good enough. Was thinking about trying that on this trailer. Any advise offered would be appreciated. Thanks.