1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bombard16, Sep 16, 2011.

1. bombard16

bombard16 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a used 7x16 enclosed trailer. I really wanted an enclosed trailer to secure my mower in during the day. I work a full time job then mow afterwards and have to tow the trailer to work a lot. I wanted the security of my equipment being locked in the trailer.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to refuel my mower at gas stations now. I'm used to having an open trailer that I just fuel the mower directly and then fill a spare gas can. I don't think I'm going to be able to fuel the mower in the trailer since the pump hose is too short. The options I see now are more gas cans, which I don't want to do, that just means moving the fuel around twice as much. Or taking the mower out of the trailer at the pump to fill it. What do you guys with enclosed trailers do?

2. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Take the mowers out
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Start mower, drive mower out trailer, fill mower with gas, drive mower back in trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Bigkrank

Bigkrank LawnSite Member

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel doors are great. I put them on my enclosed to access my spray rig, onet o access the controls and another to pull the hose through

6. Maple Wood

Maple Wood LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 100 gallon transfer tank with a 12 volt pump in the bed of the lawn truck. We fill it once a week. We fill the truck from the tank as well as the mowers through the week.

7. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Posted via Mobile Device

8. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Just pull them out. i Gas up at like 7AM when everyone is headed to work and not at the gas station. At the moment we pull up and fill up all equipment and a 5 gallon gas can. We just ordered a trair mounted tank. With a 12v pump. Should be cool. after we figure out how to charge the battery off of the truck.

Right! I actually park in the lot next to the gas station. Its Crazy when you come to the gas station at lunch time and see 7 companies all with trailers ranging from 4-24' long! Especially when there is a VACANT store parking lot right next door! You dont even have to drive on the grass! to cross over!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I park on the far side of the lot so that my truck/trailer length doesn't clog up all the fuel bays, then I unload my Zero turns and drive them to the diesel pump. Once full, just drive them back into the trailer.

10. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 LawnSite Member
    from gap,pa

start pumping into truck, unload mower and pull around to nose of truck, fuel mower, continue pumping into truck, load mower, fill cans, finish pumping into truck.