Enclosed trailer Security

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kemmer, Mar 21, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to buy an enclosed trailer in a couple of days and i was wondering what you use to prevent it from getting stolen(someone pulling up and taking it) I found a couple of products but im not sure about them.
    This one looks like you can break it off with a sleg hammer easily.

both of these look like there the best.

what do you think?
    What do you use to secure the tongue of your trailer?
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the bottom one myself. Have you found any that use a combination lock? Keys sure get bulky, especially when you have to have one for EVERYTHING.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i have the first product you showed. The only problem i have is if i don't use the jack and put it down on the ground the key hole gets plugged with mud/dirt. I've never had it tested with a sledge, but i like it over all. Mine has a cylindrical key like found on vending machines, not a traditional key like pictured.

Hardly anything will stop someone from stealing something they really want.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Get the boots for the wheels. Tongue locks alone won't do it. Here's an example. I have a friend who is a repo man. He has a device, that is a large A-frame that opens and closes, so it is adjustable to all A angles of a tonge. This thing slides over a trailer tongue, and clamps down using several large T-bar clamps. It has it's own ball coupler right on it. It even has it's own safety chains.
    The main thing is, is that we are not just talking about a $5000 trailer here, we are talking about a $5000 trailer FULL OF EQUIPMENT at stake! Don't risk it, and invest! Many people have even installed audible alarms on their units, with a sealed battery system to power them. Don't take chances!