Enclosed trailer setup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Braphael, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Braphael

Braphael LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 5X10 v-nosed trailer and I'm wondering what suggestions you have about setting it up. Any pictures would b e helpfu, also. Thanks!

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

There is several pics of enclosed in the truck and trailer forum.

We have had an enclosed for about 4 years, it's been great.

Sorry no pic of ours, may not help you anyway, we do mainly lawn maintenance.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 6x12 x 7 Foot Clear Wells Cargo trailer. I built a set of shelves up the left side for inventory, tool boxes, etc. I built a work bench across the front with bin storage below. I store all my wire on 300m reels on the right front, I have all long handle digging tools etc along the left wall on clips. I have a large box at the back for picks, pry bars, pruners, etc etc. Along the ceiling I suspend conduit, custom trims, etc with bungee cords.

The trailer is wired for 120V as well as 12V from the truck's accessory circuit. This gives me HOT5 FL lighting inside as well as an interior outlet for tools. Just run a heavy ga. extension cord from a client outlet to the trailer for 'shore power'.

I have the ability to leave my trailer behind on installations, so I lock it up tight with military grade padlocks, and 60 Ton freight chain that goes around the frame and around a tree. I also use a gorilla tongue lock. Finally it's contents (both tools and materials) are fully insured with a separate insurance policy.

Sorry, no photos as the trailer is currently snowed in behind my shop.

4. Braphael

Braphael LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! James, where did you get the clips that hold the digging tools? In my other enclosed trailer, I use clips that lag screw into a 2x4 that is bolted to the side wall. I just saw some black and decker plastic storage cabinets that might work very well for tool storage and inventory. Do you unspool your wire right out of the trailer, or are the spools removable? I will suspend conduit and stuff as well. I will also wire shore power and trailer power for lights and battery chargers. Thanks again.

5. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

if u have it equipped for 120 volt, include some outlets for heaters. I know james forgot to mention that because of his tropical location:) Fans in the summer lower temperature 10 to 15 degrees in the summer. no a/c don't want to spoil your men. Put doors on the back, not a drop gate

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Heaters? We don't need no stinking heaters! :)

The clips that hold all the digging tools are from Home Depot. Cheap and they work well. You want to bungee them all from side to side so they don't swing while driving.

7. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

8. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

Tired of working out of a long bed/crew cab truck. As far as trailers go -
    What do most use - a ramp door or double rear doors? Ive been looking for a 7 X 12 but have found a good deal on a 7 X 14 with a rear ramp and side RV door. Do you think this size is too large?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

I use a custom Wells Cargo 6x12, single axle. I should have sprung for the V-nose but money was tight back then. I had the interior height built to 7 feet clear as I am 6'4" tall and don't like crouching. It has two swing out doors on back and a single swing out on the side. The ramps take up a lot of room and take a beating if you don't need them.

Tool bench up front across the width with storage bins below for wire, cords, dry suit, towels, and 120V stuff. Fixtures, lamps, & tools are all binned and stored on shelves along the left side. Wire storage and digging tools along the right side. Conduit and pipe is hung from above. Put a handy square box in the back to hold assorted digging tools, pry bars, fish rods and any other assorted long stuff.

It still works great after 7 years... just wish I had that V-nose.

10. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. James - I would love to see some pics. I think having this trailer is gonna make our life much easier. The 7X14' may be a little overkill but the price is right. Its wild how many enclosed trailers are under 6' tall inside. I'm 6'2" and am not interested in stooping while working in there.

Steve