Enclosed Trailer Skin Removal

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HB Lawn, Jul 29, 2012.

1. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

Ok, I have this 16 ft enclosed trailer that I need to remove the skin off the back ramp door, but I can't find the right Torx screw driver and bit to fit the screw heads. I tried a number T15, just a little too small and a T20 is way to big. So I think I need a T16, but i can't find one anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction to find this special driver. Or if you have a trick up your sleeve, let me know.

Thanks
    HB Lawn

2. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Its most likely not Torx. Look closely and its 8 points. Use a square bit and they will come right out.

3. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

#2 square bit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a #2 bit that I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks
    HB Lawn

5. LuckyFlyinROUSH

LuckyFlyinROUSH LawnSite Member
    from MO

Car shops have alot of specialty tools. They usually sell them individually. Try Carquest, Autozone, etc.

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Square bit it is!

I went through the same thing not to long ago. Never thought about a square bit until trailer repair guy told me about it. Bought a 2 pack at home depot and it worked like a champ!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea its a square bit I needed to tighten a couple of screws on mine and that what worked for me as well

8. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

Well what do you know, it is a #2 square bit.

Thanks for the help.

HB Lawn

9. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

Not sure how rusty or corroded the screw are, but if they're bad, hold the square bit with a 1/4" wrench and strike it abrubtly with a small hammer, and it should be loose enough to turn out with a drill w/o stripping. Usually, the ramp doors corrode relatively fast, especially in the "rust belt".......

10. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Had this same issue with trying to change a tail light on mine. Square bit it is lol best of luck!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device