Enclosed Trailer Spraying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use a enclosed trailer for spraying,fert,PG or Z. Looking for a good set up. Don't know how to set up my backback sprayers.
    Pictures would be great.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are a few on here who have really nice setups. Some right near me. MStine315 is one, as is Turfscape LLC. You can look these guys up and see they have poics of their setups on their avatars, but I am sure they have some pics of their rigs in the pics forum. Anyway, PM them, and I'm sure they can help you out in the setting up of the inside of a trailer. To me, a decent enclosed trailer is just an awesome way to go. Especially how I was thinking on doing it. I would like to do a solid swing side door, but build a gate that will lift up and pin. This way, when this gate/ramp is dropped, because it will be expando steel (with a lift mechanism), there will be no reason to lift it back up to do the application no missed spots. The pallets will be loaded right in through the back (which will have swing doors). All material, and all equipment will always be kept out of the weather. I think for the backpack sprayer, putting them right up against the wall would be cool, and just using a bungy for each one to secure it would work, but I was also thing of have a sort of a narrow shelf for them to sit on against the wall. This would save some bending down for them. Simply undo the strap, and place your back to it and put your arms through the straps, and you're good to go. Anyway, this is just an idea...

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer a few months ago from a friend who no longer needed it. The main reason I bought it was to use during lime applications in the Winter. For one, the weather changes quite a bit this time of year so having the lime protected from rain is important. The trailer provides the ability to carry 40+ bags at a time with no problem, and there is no need to unload at the end of the day.

The trailer has ample room for the PG and Lesco spreader. Loading and unloading the PG is lightning fast since there is no need for complicated tie downs.

The downside is the weight of the trailer. My F250 (gas) gets absolutely horrible mileage pulling the setup. The trailer is convenient to use, but I will probably avoid using it exclusively due to the gas mileage factor. When applying a normal granular round, there will be enough space in my truck for bags and the PG will be on the hitch carrier.

4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of shelf maybe in the nose high enought it would be
    level with your back. And put a 50 gal. sprayer under them to pull out the
    side door.
    The weather was a big factor for enclosed and not letting nosey landscapers
    see the products i use

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

keeping your stuff out of sight and locked up is pricless no matter how u do it even a tarp keeps nosy people out of the loop

6. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a 16' dedicated cargo apps. and I wish I had a 20'. but if I had a 20 I'd just wish for a 24. TurfUnlimited is sure right about the gas.

7. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Hey TurfUnlimited,
    How do you secure your PG inside the trailer. I have an open trailer and a brand new PG and haven't come up with a easy release idea. I'm using wratcheting tie downs;PITA. Thanks!

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking about the pro-lockers that they sell, drive up onto the trailer, and they automaticly lock in place, then use a padlock to keep the honest people honest.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you leave the transmission in Reverse, the front tires will not roll. Then I just use a couple of tie down straps. One on each handlebar that connects to the sides of the trailer. My trailer has rails on the walls with movable cargo loops that clip in place. This keeps the sulky from shifting left or right.

Something like a prolocker would be ideal for an open trailer. You don't want the PG to become a projectile if you were involved accident. This is obviously not as big of a concern if you are using an enclosed trailer.

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Joe! SC, I use a 7x14 and have been very happy with it. Sorry I don't have good pictures. One of those things I was always going to do. Mine has rear barn doors vs. a ramp door and I built wooden ramps out of 2x6's. I bought it used and was sorry it had barn doors, but after I bought it I figured I could load full pallets in this way vs. having the ramp. Turfscape does this, but honestly I never have. I store most of my fert. in my shop, but don't have a forklift, so I hand load it in the side door or in the truck behind the spacesaver if there's no chance of rain. I have a shelf in the nose that holds 4 backpacks as need be as well as tool boxes, spill kit, first aid, etc.... I can fit a PG and Turf Tracker or 2 Turf Trackers in it as the job dictates. I have fast strap tie downs bolted to the floor in various positions. I got them at Lesco, but I think the name of the company is Green Touch. I'll try to scrounge up some pictures and if I think of anything else I'll check back.