1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailer suggestions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 2beast, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I also want an enclosed trailer. I know what dimensions I want, I just can't figure out what brand. I hope to have one in the next 2 years.

2. dmallen79

dmallen79 LawnSite Member

i am thinking the best size would be 8.5x16 anything bigger will be a p.i.t.a to get around. Plus you get a lot more weight with anything bigger. Unless you have three mowers there is no need for anything bigger. You can hang every tool on the walls so no need for tons of extra room. Fuel mileage will be much better with a 16' also. This is obviously just my opinion and you know what they say about that.

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Ours is 8.5x20 and I wish it was 24' or even 28'.

16' would be way to small.

We have 2 61" ztr's in the trailer most of the time. We put the hand tools, trimmers, edgers ect on the flour in front of the mowers. This way the guys can reach them without climbing in the trailer each time.

If we had a 28' we could fit 3 ztr's and everything else stay where it is now.

4. dmallen79

dmallen79 LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure that I said as long as you don't have 3 mowers and you should hang your tools up, because it is way too hard on them to bounce around on the floor, there is a reason they sell those hangers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

No need to be a jerk.

I'm just saying 16' would be to small for us. We do have racks on the walls for extra hand tools but the tools they use everyday stay on the floor. Been doing it this way for several years without a problem.

6. 2beast

2beast LawnSite Member

It is raining today.
    Looks like a good day to go looking at trailers.

I am thinking maybe 16' but am still open minded.
    We will not be hauling mowers but it will leave room for all of our regular daily equipment plus extras :)

7. Daniellem3

Daniellem3 LawnSite Member

post a picture of what you decide on!

8. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

I would like to make a couple of suggestions one is skip bumper pull and pay extra 450. For gooseneck you will never regret it.
    Second get good digital brake controller and brakes on both axles.
    One other thing others have mentioned get a trailer big enough the first time.
    Posted via Mobile Device