1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailer thoughts, decisions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Martsmth, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Kustom Kutz

Kustom Kutz LawnSite Member

I have used every size and type of trailer there is at one time or another. The trailer that I try to keep hooked to my truck (2002 Chevy 1500HD) at all times is a 18' CargoMate enclsed. I have every tool that I might possibly need at my disposal on every job. Everything has a place on the trailer, stays dry and secure. I bought my trailer because I live in a condo with no storage, but I think they are the only way to go now. Make the investment and purchase a trailer. You won't know how you lived without one. There are ways to do all of your equipment racks like mine and save ALOT of money. Tires and brakes aren't a "issue" they are "maintanence" which as long as you are making money will be no big deal. My tailer empty weighs around 3200# with the boxes and racks and the only thing I would change is I wish it were bigger.

2. Omran&Turbo

Omran&Turbo LawnSite Member

I could not say it any better than you Mr Kutz, and infact that what am planning to do buyingan enclosed trailer.

3. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I have been contemplating buying a 16ft enclosed but my only concern is hauling mulch. I do a lot of mulching in the spring. I have a 16ft trailer with 3ft walls now and mulch is cake work. If I got an enclosed I'd like to keep the open for cleanups and what not but don't know if money allows both.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me how guys that do mulching manage this
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Lazer, the only options are get the mulch delivered, keep your open trailer, or get a dump insert for the small jobs. I run an enclosed trailer and get most of the mulch delivered or will do 2-3 yard runs with the truck but that gets old quick. Going to pick up an open trailer this spring for around a grand and be done with it.

6. Kustom Kutz

Kustom Kutz LawnSite Member

I have 4 trailer 3 open (6.5x12, 7x16 and a 8x18HD) It will only be logical to kkep a open trailer if you can't afford both. Delivery is a option, but for what you'll pay for delivery fees over a year you could by yourself a debris trailer as I call them. If you ever buy a enclosed you will be in love.