1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailer- V-Nose or not?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ElephantNest, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'm getting an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer soon, and was hoping I could get people opinions on what they like/dislike about their V-Nose, and what they like/dislike about their flat nose.

A regular trailer with an extended tongue is probably 19' total length for a 16' trailer, and I think it would be about the same for a V-nose......so seems like wasted space without the v-nose.....but maybe they're more hassle than their worth with sight issues, or turning, something else I may not have thought of.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks,
    ~Nest

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a vnose trailer and am back and forth about it. At first I loved it and still do, because of all the extra room in the front, its great for storage. I also have a dump insert on my truck and because of the extra length of that I as well as my employee had slightly jackknifed it as we were backing up. That was our own dumb faults but I've driven trailers for 8-9 years and have never done it before. Either way...the other problem with it is there is no place to put my truck loader. That is a big issue if you have one or plan on buying one...Hope this helps you a little.

3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

The v-nose is a good place to put a workbench and cabinets without taking up your usable trailer space plus you get a couple extra feet of cargo room with out going to a longer trailer, my 8.5x20' is almost 22' long inside and the cost was the same as a flat nose. And they do seem to tow a little easier at highway speeds.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The v-nose will definately cut down on the drag when you are driving. And like others have said the front of a v-nose is a great place for extra storage inside without losing any of the useable space. I'd say that a v-nose would be a much better choice with the added storage space inside.

5. SilverTouch

SilverTouch LawnSite Member

so the 20' does not count the v part at the front?

6. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the look of v noses, but for the reduced drag, they might be a good choice. Extra space is a nice selling point, but I heard somewhere that V nose railers don't ripple like regular ones as far as the sheet metal looking good and straight.

7. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get the V nose. If it's advertised as a 8x20, that's generally the box size without the V nose area included, generally it's 2-2.5 feet depending on the tongue length.

8. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope the square section of my trailer is 20' inside and the v-nose adds another 2' of storage.

9. ygim

ygim LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going with the vnose

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i know some have already said they have made use of the space a v-nose has.

i personally feel there is wasted space with a v-nose. with the way i have my enclosed trailer set up the v is to much wasted space to go that route.