Enclosed Trailer w/Lettering vs Open Trailer???????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tim Wright, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a business question particularly for those of you who have gone from an open landscape trailer to an enclosed trailer with your logo, phone number and web site lettered on the enclosed trailer.

Did you notice a big difference on the number of calls that you began to recieve when you went to the enclosed trailer with logo and phone number.

Here is my situation.

I am expanding this year. I can pay cash for an open trailer, put small signs on the side and run with that for the year, or get an enclosed trailer, put signage all over it.

However if the difference in calls recieved from the enclosed with signage does not have results in the first year, I think I would go with the cheaper trailer and get the enclosed trailer next year.

The only thing is, the open trailer with landscape racks, and such is not that much cheaper than an enclosed trailer without lettering or racks inside.

Tim

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an enclosed trailer but instead I went from an open trailer to a box truck at the end of last year. I haven't had it long enough to know if I will get more calls from it but I looked at it like this: I was at a my neighbors house house and looked at my truck and trailer from across the street and I could hardly make out the name and number. That is when I decided to get the box truck and went BIG on the name, logo and number.

Here is a link to my box truck:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=169422

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have picked up a lot of calls on the box trailers,it pays for itself,they only problem is fueling up the mowers every day.

4. rockymtnmf

rockymtnmf LawnSite Member

About the fueling... If you put a small door on the trailer you can put the gas hose right in and you don't have to unload all the stuff. If you have 2 mowers put a door near each of them. I believe there is a company that makes a door specifically for this problem.

Im sure someone on the site has a picture of what i'm talking about.

5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

The Lettering on the box truck looks real good. Clean and Easy to read.

Tim

6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Tadams,

That lettering looks really good. I am having a problem with my 2 year old vinyl. The sign girl put on the high performance Avery vinyl and it is already starting to peel. I am making her buy 3M on the new truck. I am convinced all the old trucks will have to be re-lettered within 3 years.

I had my first truck lettered with 3M vinyl 3 years ago and it is still in mint condition.

Avery has a lot mad customers:

http://www.mobilecustoms.com/avery/

I will never let my sign girl put Avery vinyl on any of my trucks again.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 16' open trailer this past year, I wish i could haave gotten a 18 or 20' enclosed. They make a neater appearance,and customers really buy into that kind of thing. I need open for mulch and stone also when doing projects,no dump truck.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tim!

Thanks DFW! I hate that about you vinyl! Are they re-doing it for free?