enclosed trailer walls

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scottishmaximus, Jan 15, 2004.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I am thinking about getting an enclosed trailer. I was wondering how strong the walls are. On my open trailer, my walk-behinds get bumped up against the sides and front of the trailer. Can an enclosed trailer take the bumps. What about a hard stop? Do i have to strap the mowers down or will putting the mowers' brakes on be enough? Sometimes someone will forget to put the breaks on as well. My trailer takes this abuse well and i would like to know how an enclosed trailer will take it.

2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Get at least 16 on center wall studs, tubular is the best.
    Get a 12" kick plate around the trailer.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for an enclosed now too.
    I would get the mower hold down that attach to the trailer floor and have a strap that goes around the tire to hold the mower. It would have me really nervous if the equiptment was not tied down as I am crusing down the road. I can not think of the brand these straps were but they were discussed here on this site.

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

If you put or get one with 3/8" plywood around the bottom 12" up like others said it works great. The other thing is get one with real plywood walls, its usually only 1/4" but its strong enough to use wood screws to mount small things anywhere. That luan crap is good for nothing, they might as well keep the inside with no skin. Also I find painting the walls white make the trailer feel bigger inside and may keep it cooler on hot days. Sure white will get dirty but a quick touchup once a year will keep it looking fresh.

Here is a pic of mine

untitled.jpg

5. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

thanks for the help. I guess i'll be ok.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my pace has 3/8 plywood and my dixie punched through it and put a small dent in the outer shell definately tie down the mowers

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The straps you are talking about,Northern tool sells them they are called Faststrap and are found in the trailer section about $23.Hope that helps

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric 1
    Those are the ones I had seen. Thanks for the info...:)

9. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

Hey Ksland,

Do you have any more pics of the inside of your trailer and if you do can you post some? Thanks

Mike