1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailer , what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eddings, Jan 29, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

I think I want an enclosed trailer for my business this year. I want to hear some pro's and con's from some people who have been in the bus. for a while.
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I love mine! Keeps everything locked up. always get one a little bigger than what you need at the moment because you will need the extra space 2morrow.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment is Secure, out of weather and Out of sight.
    Equipment can be more organized.
    Nice, Four Sided rolling billboard for advertising.
    Place to go dry off or change clothes in the even of rain.

More Trailer weight and more drag, less fuel economy.
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

So true! So true!:usflag:
  5. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with what everyone said but want to stress the idea if your going to invest into an enclosed one, def get one larger then you need, hell you can even go bigger then that :) if you don't have a shop you can even put a work bench inside the trailer for blades, storage is great and just as they all say, out of sight ... out of mind...less likey to get theft. I just wish i got a larger one. Mine is 6x14 double axle, should have got the 18 or 22 long one..
  6. Total.Lawn.Care

Mine is the same size. I already had it, so i was lucky in that aspect, did not have to buy one. However, depending on how this year goes as far as growth and paying down/off personnal debt, I might have a new one at teh end of the year. I have already stuffed mine and could use an 8x20.
  7. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

Ditto. Go with bigger then needed. I have a 6x12 and wish I would have gotten a 7x16. For me that would be ideal. The width is more a porblem then length. I can only get a 52" deck in, with a 7', i could get a 60" with no problem.

Not only is a enclosed more secure, advertising space, but it aalso keeps your equipment cleaner from the elements. Not to mention no hot seat when you get to the job.:laugh:
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

Or wet seat from the morning dew when you start your day in your neighborhood...
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have one of each, and I would agree with every single thing said so far in this thread. I would only add 2 more cons to the enclosed trailer.
    1. Reduced rear visibility. If you aren't good driving w/ mirrors, you will be.
    2. Not as easy to access handhelds as on an open trailer, not a big deal, you just have to go into the trailer to get things, with the open, you just grab it.

All in all, the enclosed is usually preferable especially if you don't have a garage/shop to keep all your equipment in. It may be a matter of $$$ too. An enclosed really is a moving billboard for your company.
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Plus you can use it as a bathroom. I always carry around a gatorade bottle to use.