Enclosed trailer with side ramp option for mowing?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 21, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Have been getting some pricing on a 7x14' enclosed trailer. All the std stuff needed for mowing ops. I also have been getting quotes for an option 4 or 5' side ramp so I can get my 36" WB/21"/Permagreen out the side door without unloading my Z out the back ramp. Looks like on avg an extra $300 will get the side ramp.

My question is this, for guys that run enclosed's, will I really use/value that side ramp option? Or will it be more of a pain than it is worth? I can see value in unloading my smaller machines, but to go and grab a trimmer, etc and have to drop the door down, is it more trouble that it would be worth?

Hope this makes sense. Its not that it costs so much more, but I don't ignorantly want to make my trailer funky to use.

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

The ramp to unload a mower or pg makes sense. To use it to grab a trimmer/blower no, I would think the rear ramp would still be open and just use that.

The negative of a side ramp is wall space, you lose some. Do you have enough on the one side? Most likely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Have you thought of having the side ramp installed on the passenger side (like you are planning) and then have a standard door installed on the driver side? That would give you easy access into the trailer without having to drop a ramp. It would be a little extra money obviously, but it may be worth it if you want the convenience of a side ramp and still have quick and easy access to the trailer.

4. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

i second that notion

5. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

side ramps are priceless. had one for 7 years and couldnt do without it. passenger side ramp and driver side entry door. if you special order your trailer you can build it the way you want it. I have the dovetail deleted in mine also.

6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

DA...Have you considered when you pull up to the job where will the side door land? If I had the side door it would be more of a pain because ithe door when opened would be on the spot where I have to mow & trim.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

True....that is why I am soliciting comments on this matter. So far, kind of a mixed bag.....

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

That happens but remember he is using it for a 21, 36 wb, and pg. All 3 you can easily hop off and lift the door back up to mow that area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Southscapes03

Southscapes03 LawnSite Member

well i finally worked out of mine last week and love it. The side door or ramp either one has to be opened to get trimmers and stuff out anyway. I put my trimmers on the front V nose wall standing up, so we just have the ramp open for the walker and can get to the trimmers easlily even if the walker is still in its place. as for the price of the door, that sounds about right, mine was that much to add to the trailer and i added another 6 inches to mine to make sure that i didn't bang the side of the trailer when backing the walker in. I opted out of the driver side man door since my walker would be setting in the way of that door anyway. And again, i will post pics as soon as the weather clears around here, I had my camera last week but I took one picture and the battery died:hammerhead:

10. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

some properties we will drop side ramp in the street and set a cone out. depends on how much traffic. if you have the assist spring adjusted right its little to no effort getting it up, just the hassle of getting off a mower.